Author Topic: Jessica Jones (Netflix/Marvel)  (Read 2883 times)

SCB

• View Profile
Jessica Jones (Netflix/Marvel)
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »
Only watched the pilot so far and for a non-superhero obscure follow up to Daredevil, this is incredible.

I am intrigued every scene with the mystery and it's already darker than worst moments of Daredevil.

Binge watching this for sure.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
    • South Atlanta Wrestling
Re: Jessica Jones (Netflix/Marvel)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »
I'm going to try this next week. 

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »
Two episodes in.  Show is dark as hell and twisted.  I like.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »

Three episodes done. Kilgrave is a seriously scary villain to even think about. Kingpin was fun, but this guy is a literal living nightmare.

Also love the no nonsense story telling. Everything is to the point and no lame side stories.

I'm also slowly being sold on Luke Cage with the small doses they give us.

Might be too early to say this, but far more interesting than Daredevil.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 12:41:19 PM »
I saw the first ep the other night (Intended to binge, but went with Batman vs Robin instead.)

As soon as I heard the name "Killgrave", I knew what was coming.  Purple Man is all about depraved stories.  He's like an evil Jesse Custer.

And about Fisk: 
Spoiler  :
In the comics, Killgrave told him to shoot himself, and Fisk put the gun in his mouth, took it out, and casually told him "No".   :)

Even Matt couldn't casually break the spell.

In the show, I'll bet Jessica does it (Partly because she knows what to expect now), but only after a serious fight, with nose bleeding from the effort..

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
This is also a great example of how to do a strong female show, unlike Supergirl. Almost all the women on this show are bad asses in their own way, including being a lawyer/radio host, and are flawed, without being invincible.

They're nicely teasing Hellcat once in a rare while, probably more of a wink to the hardcore audience. I don't know if they'll ever make her Hellcat since Black Widow and Mockingbird exist in the similar archetype. Then again, Netflix MCU doesn't have anyone like that and this is all street level.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »
Woman and I are half way through the series. It is so good.  Where Daredevil made a villain you kinda were sympathetic towards and actually pulled for to succeed at times this show just makes you absolutely hate and fear Purple Man.  He is twisted.  He is demented.  He is calculating.  He is frightening.

Luke Cage is handled very well and I'm extremely pleased with the actor they got for him.  Nothing in this show feels wasted.  This isn't even an origin story.  That's already happened.  Jessica and these people have clearly been around and established so we're getting to just jump right in with no slow build.

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 03:19:33 PM »
Can I jump right into this series, or do I need to have seen anything prior for it to make sense?

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 03:26:45 PM »
Jump into it. I knew nothing and never heard of this character.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 11:55:31 AM »
How to make a strong female character:  Basically do what you'd do with a guy.  Between the hard drinking, booty call chasing, in your face person of action who doesn't take crap from anybody, Jessica could have been any given action hero of the 90's.

One thing I noticed is Cage is super passive compared to her..  He hasn't done anything to really persue her.  It's all Jessica, and what she wants.

dam skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 09:01:26 AM »
You all suck!   8)

I have watched 4 episodes and am addicted. This is good stuff. 

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »
Just finished the series. Wow, I think this is the best thing Marvel has done since Winter Soldier. Great writing, acting, directing, and dialog.

I know this won't be for everyone since this isn't a typical superhero story most of us love, more of a character and crime drama, maybe even horror, with super powers mixed in, but this was so much more compelling than Daredevil.

The finale with Kilgrave head me guessing on the edge of my seat oil the very end and left me satisfied. With Daredevil, you knew it was heading towards a fight with the Kingpin, but it was so straight forward, I found it predictable and anti-climatic. I really had no idea what would happen with Kilgrave, who is so damn good. Loki is fantastic, but he's the type of villain you enjoy watching and kind of root for. Kilgrave is a monster and makes you scared for others. I was very worried what he'd do every moment and wanted him taken down, if possible.

The side characters and their stories were also fantastic. Trish Patsy Walker could have her own spin off and she's not even a superhero. I'd never watch a spin off of Foggy and Karen. Her two neighbors also fantastic. And the stuff with Luke Cage, wow. What a way to sell his show.

Yeah I'm really impressed. Daredevil is a great superhero show. Jessica Jones is a great show on it's own merit.

A+

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 02:22:36 AM »
Can I jump right into this series, or do I need to have seen anything prior for it to make sense?

I'm on episode 5 and the only thing you need to know is the first Avengers film. There is a character that cuts a promo about losing a mother. It's clearly a reference to the climactic battler in the first Avengers movie.

But other than that, no prior knowledge required.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 01:03:10 PM »
Well the majority of the finale is used to tie this show to Daredevil but as long as you've seen the first three episodes of Daredevil you'll get the tie in.

Overall this show was amazing.  They had the balls to do Purple Man correctly and it's brilliant for it.  Literally gave my girlfriend nightmares.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 10:29:05 AM »

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 10:34:17 AM »
So, watch the first three eps of Daredevil, then jump right into JJ for a maximal viewing experience?

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »
You can ignore Daredevil completely. This show stands on its own.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 01:07:38 PM »
Girlfriend shared that pic to my Facebook yesterday.  Was planning on sharing it here

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »
Finished the series.

It's not without its flaws (Quite a few predictible scenarios.  Some of the decisions Jessica makes are just bizarre, imo)., But I'll take that over forced love triangles any day.

Overall I thought the show was really good.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »
Girlfriend shared that pic to my Facebook yesterday.  Was planning on sharing it here

I don't get it

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 04:00:35 PM »
You can ignore Daredevil completely. This show stands on its own.

I didn't make the connection at first, and I've seen Daredevil. 

And it didn't really mean much to the story at all.  It's simply a "Hey, I recognize her" easter egg for anyone who's seen both shows.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »
I don't get it

THat's David Tenant as The Purple Man/Kilgrave from Jessica Jones.  He's the villian.  His entire ability is using mind control to make people do things for him.  This includes using women, like Jessica, as playthings

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »
ahhhh

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »
I didn't realize Simpson is Nuke til someone pointed it out. Not sure I like the actor/character enough, but let's see where they take in next season.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »
I didn't realize Simpson is Nuke til someone pointed it out. Not sure I like the actor/character enough, but let's see where they take in next season.

He was the only reference I had to look up after finishing the show.  Wasn't til he was in the hospital with the pills that I realized this is supposed to be someone from the comics but still couldn't figure it out.   Guess I just haven't really known or heard of Nuke :/