Author Topic: Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)  (Read 727 times)

SCB

• View Profile
Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
« on: March 26, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »
Well the most anticipated movie of the century is finally here and it's met with controversy. The controversy being that it's a terrible film. Is that true? Let's get into it.

This movie is more of an art project. It's a ton of random, well shot, comic book scenes put together that don't really fit together as a linear film. Some of the scenes are amazing, others are not. Hit and miss. Even if you don't like the movie, you'll walk away with several individual things you did like and will forever stick in your mind, for better or worse.

This is like an indy film for hardcore comic book fans. It's not going to appeal to a mass audience, but it should. All those easter eggs Marvel does after the credits, this movie does non stop through out the movie, randomly.

There's two huge iconic comic book arcs Snyder heavily borrows from, The Dark Knight Returns and the other one I don't want to name because it's a spoiler, but the moments are not well earned. I personally loved all the specific quotes he took from Dark Knight Returns, some of my favorites.

The best thing about this film and the reason to so it is Ben Affleck. He brings the best live action Batman to the screen. He's probably the most fleshed out idea and character in the film. At one point he was the worst news about this movie, but turned out to be the best. It got me excited about the solo Batman films that are hopefully coming with Ben directing. This is the Batman we've all wanted the Nolan Batman to eventually form into. He's gotten over all his issues that held him back, seasoned for 20 years, cynical, brutal, and will do whatever it takes. Controversy here might be that he puts the Punisher to shame in some of the things he does, but I felt he had to most of the time.

Wonder Woman is great. Also excited for the solo Wonder Woman film. Loved her scenes as Diana Prince with Bruce out of costume. That could be a movie by itself, not directed by Zach Snyder.

Lex Luthor is pretty terrible and cringe worthy, unless you love what you saw of him in the trailers. It's exactly that and more.

The action is incredible. I think Snyder is getting worse as a director, but his action scenes are iconic. There's just no emotional weight behind them anymore.

That's really the problem with this movie. Zach Snyder is a terrible story teller. He tried to go deep like Grant Morrison, but I think just came off random and disjointed. Ton of dream sequences as easter eggs for Justice League, but I think only people like me got it. There's a specific cameo from a big name character and I doubt most people could even figure out who that was.

Going back to all the after credits stuff Marvel does and how it's non stop in this film, some of it is like the last Spider-Man film where they tried to force the Sinister Six in our face, but the Justice League instead.

Is the fight between Supes and Batman at least good? Sure. But there's not too many surprises you don't call before they happen. The trailers did give away too much, but not everything. The action just lacks the emotional impact they need.

Should you see it? Only if you're just a big fan of these characters and genre in general. It's a poorly handled long film, but tons of great individual moments to take away from, this especially any scene with Ben Affleck and Batman/Alfred. Plus it's something to talk about for sure.

I think it sucks Snyder is getting to direct Justice League part 1, but hopefully that's it for him. Looking forward to Suicide Squad.

BlackLight

• View Profile
Re: Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:12:36 PM »
My verdict? Not nearly enough post-explosion/crash landing shockwaves.

Thumbs WAY WAY down...

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »
Overall I liked it. It was Good, possibly even Very Good. But not Great, and it certainly won't make my Best Movie list for 2016.

The Good:

Affleck hits a First Pitch Walk Off Home Run. Absolutely kills it.

Gal Gadot definitely works as Diana/Wonder Woman, and I'm excited for her film as well.

The action scenes are well done, you're never confused with what is happening.

All those Easter Eggs are fine for people like me who know the comics well enough

The Bad:

Lex is bad. I don't think it's even Jesse Eisenberg's fault because he was probably told to be spastic. To me Lex is a businessman and politician. The Trump comparisons are almost too easy, but still valid. Lex should be calm, calculating every move and staying 15 steps ahead. It's almost like they tried to meld Lex with Joker.

Those Easter Eggs? If you don't know comics you will get lost easily. If you don't know what parademons are, you'll be totally confused at one of the dream sequences.

Superman is waay too dark and brooding. Again, it's probably not Cavill's fault. He's likely told to be dark and brooding. Thus the guy who's the epitome of a Lawful Good Babyface comes across as an angry jerk.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:41:54 AM by Zandrax »

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 01:29:35 AM »
I'm thinking batman being so fleshed out was all Affleck doing re-writes on set in costume like rumored

SupTool

• View Profile
    • Flying Heel Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »
Can we talk spoilers because I have a question I'd like to get the thoughts of those that have seen it

dam skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 09:15:36 AM »
I went in with very limited Comic Book knowledge and it sounds like it might have a been a benefit.

I'm OK with Lex being a spazz to start.  I liked him better than Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey.  To be fair he did not have much to compete with against these two.  I do think they need to make him less a savant and more calculated in the future. 

I thought Superman was trying to be noble and good but the situation would not let him be that way.

Wonder Woman looks awesome!

I hate to say it but it needs more Aqua Man!

Afleck stole the show to me.  He was spot on as Bruce and the Bat.  There was even a nod to his duality in an exchange with Alfred.

The one thing I liked is that it wasn't a romance movie.  Yes, Lois and Clark had advanced in their storyline but it wasn't that gushy stuff we have seen in the past.

It sounds like a typical comic book movie that flips off the aficionados.

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 02:52:22 PM »
Can we talk spoilers because I have a question I'd like to get the thoughts of those that have seen it

You can put it in spoiler brackets if you want.

Prime

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • A1-Wrestling
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 03:32:04 PM »
Spoiler-free review:

It stunk.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 03:46:05 PM »
Hear it's ripped right out of Dark Knight returns.

But most of you criticising it have seen/read that, so I'm guessing not.  (Flipping off the fans is totally modern Frank Miller though, the guy who wrote this:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:53:31 PM by DocSavage »

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »
That's has been Frank Miller, not at his best.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 05:12:47 PM »
Is it good and bad in most of the ways Man of Steel was?

Because, I'm one of the 5 people who liked MoS, so I'd probably like this.  :)

Prime

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • A1-Wrestling
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »
I liked MoS. I did not like this movie.

dam skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 07:20:19 PM »
I liked both movies.  We all take expectations and "baggage" into any movie we see.  It's hard to say who will like it and who won't.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 07:43:51 PM »
The lack of story structure in this makes me appreciate MOS more, but this was more enjoyable.

On some positive thoughts

Loved the first glimpse of Batman we got sticking to the wall/ceiling like an insect. Very horror movie esque.

Enjoyed the score.

I liked Batman branding people and they get abused in jail for it.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 08:22:09 PM »
Batman sounds almost Rorschach-ish.

Which I think was the point Frank Miller was trying to make in every Batman work he ever did.  Only fans couldn't take a hint, so he gave us All Star Batman and Robin which screamed "Do you get it now?  Batmans a crazy person!  ANYONE who dressed like a bat and beats people up is nuts!"

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 12:31:48 PM »
You really should watch the movie first. You're trying to educate people on something that has nothing to do with how Batman is portrayed in the film. Most people agree Batman was the best thing about the film.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 07:41:48 PM »
Saw it.  Loved it.

One of the most common complaints I hear, is that it's not "fun" like Avengers.  Or that it's not lighthearted enough.

I think it's an unfair comparison.  Was Kingdom Come lighthearted?  Was Dark Knight Returns? 

And yeah, this movie does have a lot of Dark Knight Returns in it.  But it also has Kingdom Come like elements, where Superman is torn between his desire to do the right thing, and live in a world that doesn't want him acting unilaterally.  In the comic, he's a lot older and opts to hide away from a world that doesn't want him, and you could almost see this movie acting as a sort of prequel to Kingdom Come.

As for my Rorschach reference...  I'm going to stand by it, with the caverat that Batman's a mix of many anti heroes..  He uses guns and kills people.  He brands them and stalks them in their cells.  He's as much Punisher and Rorschach as he is a pure Batman..

Which I'm ok with.  Times change, and this isn't the comic books..  Batman kills and uses weapons. 

Hell, I even liked Lex.  Gene Hackman, he isn't.  Nor is he animated Lex, or comic Lex.  He's something new..  Almost a hodgepodge of Joker, Alexander ( Think Infinite Crisis), and an obscure Pre Crisis Luthor from Earth 2 called "Alexi".

Now that I've seen the movie, I can appreciate the chances being took, and think a lot of the complaints stem from how unfamaliar this territory is.  Unlike the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is essentially the best of the comics carefully recreated for the big screen.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
    • South Atlanta Wrestling
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 08:36:28 AM »
Finally saw it this weekend.  It felt unnecessarily long, had it gotten to the point a bit quicker I would have enjoyed it even more.  I did like it though. 

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 12:40:12 PM »
As bad as the reviews are for this, I think they would have been far worse had it been released after Civil War. Affleck is still fantastic as Batman though.