Author Topic: Suicide Squad (2016)  (Read 567 times)

SCB

• View Profile
Suicide Squad (2016)
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:07:54 AM »
This movie is mostly fun, doesn't deserve the bad mouth it's receiving, but it's not great.

The biggest weakness is the choice of the villain. It ruins the third act and turns it into Ghostbusters.

They should have just copied their own source material and made the live action version of Escape From Arkham and have Joker as the main antagonist.

Will Smith walks Way with the most memorable character arc. He does the most with what he's given, kind of like Affleck in BvS.

Speaking of which, the few seconds Batman is in the film, he steals it every time. I'm beyond ready for a solo batman film.

Viola Davis is great as Amanda Waller. Best once since JLU.

Harley is probably the most believable of the funny characters. The rest like Captain Boomerang, feel like caricitures, but she plays Harley pretty well. The jokes in the movie aren't very funny, but she comes the closest to making you genuinely laugh.

I'm not sure how I feel about Jared Leto. So much hype about his method acting and how he terrorized his cast mates. He's hardly given much time to shine, but when he's on, I didn't get a Joker persona from him. He had a small role and Batman had a cameo and I felt Batman did more with his cameo than did Joker. I'd like to see what he could do as the main villain in a solo Batman film.

Rick Flagg was given almost the same amount of character work as Deadshot. And he's decent because he really tries. Nothing great. It's about the same he did as Robocop.

Enchantress kind of brought the movie down for me. Without getting into spoilers, her role was the major downfall of the film and all the imagery and action the cast had to work with.

At one point the movie switches from Ghostbusters to Gods of Egypt. It's supposed to be a semi grounded street film, but they chose to take it to Ghostbusters and Gods of Egypt territory by the end and I was kind of bored with what little that it left for the team to do.

Tons of talk now about how this movie was a victim of studio interference with the reshoots and editing in a ton of random music to make the movie more fun due to the BvS complaints. It still doesn't fix the problem of the main villain.

I'd give this film a matinee.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Squad (2016)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
If you can't go in and out of character as an actor, and insist on being called by your character name, you aren't method, you're an asshole

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
If you can't go in and out of character as an actor, and insist on being called by your character name, you aren't method, you're an asshole

Meanwhile, when Cesar Romero played The Joker back in the 60s, he refused to shave his mustache for the role. They just pancaked makeup over it.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 07:05:48 PM »
Well  wouldn't call him an asshole for that. but definitely a pain in the ass. LOL, that was funny

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 07:17:27 PM »

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »
This movie is mostly fun, doesn't deserve the bad mouth it's receiving, but it's not great.

The biggest weakness is the choice of the villain. It ruins the third act and turns it into Ghostbusters.

They should have just copied their own source material and made the live action version of Escape From Arkham and have Joker as the main antagonist.

Will Smith walks Way with the most memorable character arc. He does the most with what he's given, kind of like Affleck in BvS.

Speaking of which, the few seconds Batman is in the film, he steals it every time. I'm beyond ready for a solo batman film.

Viola Davis is great as Amanda Waller. Best once since JLU.

Harley is probably the most believable of the funny characters. The rest like Captain Boomerang, feel like caricitures, but she plays Harley pretty well. The jokes in the movie aren't very funny, but she comes the closest to making you genuinely laugh.

I'm not sure how I feel about Jared Leto. So much hype about his method acting and how he terrorized his cast mates. He's hardly given much time to shine, but when he's on, I didn't get a Joker persona from him. He had a small role and Batman had a cameo and I felt Batman did more with his cameo than did Joker. I'd like to see what he could do as the main villain in a solo Batman film.

Rick Flagg was given almost the same amount of character work as Deadshot. And he's decent because he really tries. Nothing great. It's about the same he did as Robocop.

Enchantress kind of brought the movie down for me. Without getting into spoilers, her role was the major downfall of the film and all the imagery and action the cast had to work with.

At one point the movie switches from Ghostbusters to Gods of Egypt. It's supposed to be a semi grounded street film, but they chose to take it to Ghostbusters and Gods of Egypt territory by the end and I was kind of bored with what little that it left for the team to do.

Tons of talk now about how this movie was a victim of studio interference with the reshoots and editing in a ton of random music to make the movie more fun due to the BvS complaints. It still doesn't fix the problem of the main villain.

I'd give this film a matinee.

Saw it in a matinee. It was decent. Odd thing I noticed was Margot Robbie couldn't seem to commit to an accent for Harley. Sometimes regionless, sometimes Long Island street trash, and I swear I heard her talking British in one exchange.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 03:59:31 PM »
well she is supposed to be nuts ;)

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 11:37:07 PM »
Agreed on the review. I can see why fans would like it, and I can see why critics wouldn't. It's not a critic friendly movie.

The Good:

-Strong performances all around. Smith and Davis especially
-With the exception of The Joker, the characters are done justice
-The Batman cameos are done very well, not in a way that distracts from the story
-The action is well directed. You're never confused as to what is going on
-Joker's thugs wearing animal costumes was a nice touch

The Bad:

-Like SCB said, the third act is basically Ghostbusters
-Nu-Metal Joker just doesn't work for me. Not Leto's fault, it's just the way he was written
-The villains powers. Spoiler below

Spoiler  :
When the Squad kill Enchantress's "brother" she is somehow able to magically take away their weapons, knock satellites out of the sky, and saw aircraft carriers in half. If she could do all that, why wait until after her brother is dead to start doing that? It came across like a DBZ "You aren't facing my in my final form yet"

dam skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 12:23:26 PM »
I liked it.   

My only issue is Joker mocking a ifeminite Godfather at parts.  Just because he's the actor doesn't mean the role needs a feminine touch.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 08:01:17 PM »