Author Topic: Luke Cage (Netflix)  (Read 423 times)

SCB

• View Profile
Luke Cage (Netflix)
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »
Just getting into the 5th episode now.

I loved Jessica Jones and was surprised others gave up on it where as they loved season one of Daredevil better.

This makes me think the mass fan base wants more superhero and less drama. Well this is another slow burn, but great story telling. Luke Cage isn't going around busting heads non stop. You definitely get that, but it's a very grounded story about a guy fighting an urban war in Harlem from the inside out.

It's really good so far and getting better.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Luke Cage (Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:26:22 PM »
I thought JJ was great

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 10:18:43 AM »
Finished it last night.

Story telling wise, probably my least favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows. Not going to go into spoilers, but other than villains not named Cotton Mouth, are very dragged out to fill out the 13 episodes. Luke Cage is just powerless to do anything against them for long episode stretches just because and I wasn't very engrossed emotionally.

Saving grace of the show are the main actors. Luke carries the show consistently. Pop, Cotton Mouth, and Claire Temple are fantastic.

Misty Knight, Shades, Diamondback just felt off for me performance and writing wise. They were more caricitures than characters for me at times.

It's still a very solid show, but if this were the first Netflix show and not Daredevil, the bar would have been set a lot lower. Production, camera work,  and score are all top notch still, just the narrative dragged on and on for me. 8 episodes could have worked for the amount of story they told.

It did get me excited for him to team up with Iron Fist in the future.

Beer_Baron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:15:31 PM »
I just finished episode 7.  SCB's review nailed it, as usual.  In addition to all the filler so far, I have noticed that most of the fight scenes have been downright bad by today's standards.  All the hand to hand stuff looks extremely awkward, especially when they are filming in tight spots.  It's hard to say whether it's because Mike Colter is simply not very skilled at staged combat, or whether it's an issue with the props and production.  I just don't get the feeling that Luke is a super powered monster when I'm watching him take on groups of thugs.  He looks like he's a beginner in a dance class, who's afraid of hurting his dance partners. 

I guess the reason that Daredevil's action was able to be so good was that DD wears a mask and they can swap in stunt doubles for the acrobatic flippy shit.  Not that Luke should be hopping around like a gymnast, but it's tough for me to get into the action when it looks like something from a bad 80's B movie.

The performances are mostly good, and the story is coherent if not a bit bloated.  So far they've rhymed off several crime themed cliches and tossed in some comic book soap opera family drama for good measure.  There are telegraphed "twists," unsurprising plot advancements and enough flashback exposition scenes to simulate character development.

I'm sure I'll finish off the season, but so far I'm placing this at or below the level of Jessica Jones in terms of quality and enjoyment. 

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 09:32:30 PM »
I'm in the middle of 7, and I must be easier than you guys, because I'm enjoying it quite a bit

I like the look at cottonmouth before he was bad

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:19:04 PM »
Prediction: I'm on episode 8. I never heard of Misty Knight, but I looked her up. Marvel had a fetish for cutting off arms, and her losing hers is canon.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 03:44:56 PM »
cute little shot at Amazon Prime in the last episode

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 09:39:40 AM »
Prediction: I'm on episode 8. I never heard of Misty Knight, but I looked her up. Marvel had a fetish for cutting off arms, and her losing hers is canon.

Fetish? 

Being a huge fan of Danny, I'm well aquainted with Misty (And her partner, Colleen.) 

Does Iron Fist show up?  Is he even mentioned?  Or does Misty meet Cage before she ever hears of Iron Fist in this version of the origin?  (The opposite of how it played out in comic.)

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »
OK maybe fetish isn't the right word. And apparently they are over it. Maybe it was a wave 2 (or whatever they call it) thing.

Spoiler  :
no Iron Fist, but one of the last scenes is Claire taking a flyer about self defense classes with the name of the woman is is Iron Fist's friend -  I forget that name now, I had to google it

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 01:13:05 PM »
There's a reference Luke makes saying, "I'm no hero for hire - yet".

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 08:15:24 AM »
Almost halfway through the season.

Love how Luke's been turned into a "mac daddy".  Comic book wise, it's Matt who's getting laid all the time, I don't remember Luke getting any action at all until he marries Jessica James

Misty?  She was Iron Fist's woman.  Poor TV Danny.  :).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:16:56 AM by DocSavage »

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »
Three episodes to go.

Did they cut some things?  The Domingo Colon "war" declaration looked like it was supposed to be a big deal, but now it seems like a pointless scene..

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 07:05:23 PM »
I know it's a common trope in comics, but got to love
Spoiler  :
Luke hitting that protective armor everywhere but the big gaping hole in the helmet.  :)