Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)  (Read 281 times)

SCB

• View Profile
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
« on: December 16, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »
I really have mixed feelings about this.

I think I value the film for the story it told and how this sets you up directly to watch the original trilogy directly after. It sets up A New Hope wonderfully, where as the Prequels would shoe horn things as fan service or to make you go "remember these guys?"

I just couldn't find myself caring for anyone in the movie except the droid in the film. This was partly marketed as a heist film, but really it's a war film. It puts the war in Star Wars. On top of that, it's a suicide mission, not like that poorly executed Suicide Squad. This mission actually has everyone risking it all to capture the plans for the Death Star.

So while there's all these lives at risk and at war, I wasn't emotionally invested in them. I was more into the cause.

So the droid steals the show for me as far as characters. He's not cute like BB8 or Baby Groot. He's a dry witted bad ass that I related the most with.

On the villains side I'm mixed on as well. Director Kroenig reminded me too much of Grand Moff Tarkin. It's almost a direct archetype of him and that character is in the film as his superior officer. I mean he's played well, there isn't too much there apart from the evil empire officer this faction seems to be full of.

Vader has a couple of scenes in this and it's fantastic, easily what I'll watch on loop over and over once scenes from the film are released online next year. It's the Vader we always dreamed of.

I criticized Force Awakens last year for remixing the original trilogy and not telling a new story and now I'm finding myself appreciating Force Awakens more for at least getting me into the characters and story, no matter how rehashed they were.

There needs to be something in between where it's something new and familiar.

I give this a low full price. See it in theaters for sure. Maybe not my favorite Star Wars story, but one of the best looking for sure. Darth Vader might be worth the price of admission alone.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:42:34 PM by SCB »

SCB

• View Profile
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »

Beer_Baron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 10:15:06 PM »
I didn't find this movie to be all that engaging.  It was similar to Doctor Strange in that it looked very nice and the action was well done, yet everything else was fairly meh. 

Probably doesn't help that for anyone who has seen the original Star wars trilogy, the ending of Rogue One is obvious before they even enter the theater.  So it's tough to build tension when the outcome is known; all I was there to see was the action I guess.  And the action delivered.

Apart from the droid, Asian Stick and Asian Roadblock, the characters were forgettable. Though I do appreciate the fact that they made the main character just a normal ass woman instead of some lame, girl power plot device.

9/10 for special effects
6/10 for everything else.

I'll call it a 7.5 and give it a solid recommendation to any fan of the franchise.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:18:44 PM by Beer_Baron »

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 09:13:42 PM »
Think the tactical droid is some kind of super prototype that doesn't suck   If the droid army had more of those, they'd have won the war.

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:58:00 AM »
Saw this tonight. I liked it fine, but I'm not plugged into the canon the way a lot of fans are, so I wasn't locked in so much on details.

dam skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:03:41 AM »
Just watched in Netflix.

I didn't connect with any character but the robot. 

In all the story mess I became lost in the CGI reproduction of characters.  Yikes!

At what point do we no longer need actors?  Voice actors are much cheaper.