Author Topic: 13 Reasons Why  (Read 231 times)

dam skippy

• View Profile
13 Reasons Why
« on: April 20, 2017, 07:13:58 PM »
Netflix new series is about a girl who commits suicide and finds a unique way to communicate with those she felt played a part.  I've had friends who read the book and felt that it attacks the issues of bullying, sexual harassment and even assault.  It also examines all sides of an occurrence.  I'm on episode 7. It reminds me of the hell I went through in school.

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
Re: 13 Reasons Why
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 06:17:15 PM »
Doesn't remind me of anything, but I really enjoyed it.  Only thing that continually bothered me was the prevalence of extremely visible tattoos on these 10th-12th graders.
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

dam skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 03:20:04 PM »
It's getting press for glamorizing suicide, which I don't think it did. However, the mystery of who did what became the storyline.  If it really was created for prevention, it might have missed the mark with people. 

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »
I don't see how anyone can claim it glamorized suicide given the scene near the end, I'm still disturbed
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »
It's getting press for glamorizing suicide, which I don't think it did. However, the mystery of who did what became the storyline.  If it really was created for prevention, it might have missed the mark with people.

People will complain about anything.

Bet some people were up in arms over Game of Thrones portrayal of sexual slavery/assault, because the girl wasn't a shattered wreck over it.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
    • South Atlanta Wrestling
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »
My understanding is that some believe you should never show someone committing suicide because of how it impacts people who have suicidal tendencies.  By showing I mean the graphic way it is depicted in the series (I have not watched it). 

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 03:44:05 PM »
My understanding is that some believe you should never show someone committing suicide because of how it impacts people who have suicidal tendencies.  By showing I mean the graphic way it is depicted in the series (I have not watched it).

It was incredibly disturbing

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:11:45 PM »

Ah, makes sense.

I could see the reasoning, but not sure about supporting it because, basically, it's the same "negative influence" arguments used against everything else (Gun violence, regular violence, drug use, casual sex, ect...)

Not to make it political or start off an argument, but just saying.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 09:02:53 PM »
Slight aside. A few years ago one of the stars of Rizzoli and Isles killed himself. When they addressed his death they had him die in a car accident.

On their facebook page they were inundated with people bitching at them for not having the character kill himself so they could address the topic and make a discussion yadda yadda yadda fucking bullshit

Never mind that his friends on the show who actually knew him and were grieving may not have wanted to relive it

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 11:04:13 PM »
Slight aside. A few years ago one of the stars of Rizzoli and Isles killed himself. When they addressed his death they had him die in a car accident.

On their facebook page they were inundated with people bitching at them for not having the character kill himself so they could address the topic and make a discussion yadda yadda yadda fucking bullshit

Never mind that his friends on the show who actually knew him and were grieving may not have wanted to relive it

How can we have a conversation about a serious subject if TV doesn't tell us when it's a good time to do it??

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »
Coming from having been on that edge at one point in my life the problem with this and how it glorifies it is how it portrays all the people's reactions.  A lot of people's thoughts behind suicide are of literal helplessness in their life.  They feel that nobody gives a damn about them and they are just taking up space.  They end up feeling that being around is just a burden for everyone else and the world would be better without them because nobody cares.

From what I understand, haven't watched it and will not watch it due to my past, in this show/book all the people who treated her terribly/ignored her changed their mindset and suddenly gave a damn and cared about her.  That's a TERRIBLE message to put out there.  It takes the terrible act of just giving up and killing yourself because nobody cares about you (the thought that nobody does at least)and gives it a purpose.  You do this and suddenly you WILL mean something in the world and even your enemies will give a damn but it's the ONLY WAY for them too.  That is a dangerous fucking message to send whether it meant to or not.

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 02:43:39 AM »
Coming from having been on that edge at one point in my life the problem with this and how it glorifies it is how it portrays all the people's reactions.  A lot of people's thoughts behind suicide are of literal helplessness in their life.  They feel that nobody gives a damn about them and they are just taking up space.  They end up feeling that being around is just a burden for everyone else and the world would be better without them because nobody cares.

From what I understand, haven't watched it and will not watch it due to my past, in this show/book all the people who treated her terribly/ignored her changed their mindset and suddenly gave a damn and cared about her.  That's a TERRIBLE message to put out there.  It takes the terrible act of just giving up and killing yourself because nobody cares about you (the thought that nobody does at least)and gives it a purpose.  You do this and suddenly you WILL mean something in the world and even your enemies will give a damn but it's the ONLY WAY for them too.  That is a dangerous fucking message to send whether it meant to or not.

I'm tempted to agree with this.  The suicidal act itself isn't being glamorized in its portrayal - it's quite grisly and tough to watch (and the actress's performance was excellent, it should be said). But whether it was intended or not, the show does appear to create the impression that, if you're planning to check out, you can script the aftermath to your advantage, and you can have the last word in a way that you could never hope to have while you're above ground.

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »

It was not my interpretation that anyone cared about her once she was dead that did not care about her when she was alive.  The people that cared about her when she was alive were the most grief stricken and the people that didn't give a shit about her were only concerned with how her suicide would effect themselves.  No one turned around and started to care about her due to her suicide.