Author Topic: The Blacklist is amazing  (Read 63 times)

FATSEXY

• View Profile
The Blacklist is amazing
« on: April 29, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »
I don't really get into "Best TV show ever" discussions, because it's not an objective thing as a viewer. Maybe if you're in the industry, you can say that the editing and pacing of a show is well done and critique things on a technical level, but as a viewer, it's all objective. The X-Files is one of my favorite shows ever, but it hasn't aged well. Homicide: Life on the Street is possibly my favorite show ever, but it has aged horribly. Miami Vice?!?!!? Love it! Aged well in that it's a fun look back at the insanity of the 80s.

The modern era of contenders are usually The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men has been thrown into the discussion here and there. I've never seen Mad Men. I've seen Breaking Bad and The Wire. They were both well done. The Wire isn't aging nearly as well as everyone wishes it would, and the further we get past its run the more we realize that the only season anyone remembers is the season where they mythologized a bunch of worthless street criminals. Breaking Bad was strong.

And now we have The Blacklist. The Blacklist started out strong, stayed outstanding for a few seasons, then had the Tom and Lizzie GARBAGE infect the show. It went from a show that goes places other shows wouldn't dare go -Lizzie actually shoots the guy instead of putting the gun down!- to going to that stupid, stupid, stupid dumb fake death GARBAGE. I swore the show off after that.

But... like my divorce from wrestling fandom years ago, I ended up coming back.

Somewhere earlier this year they did a mini-side series which removed Tom from the main show, and the sky parted, light shone down upon my face, trumpets blared. Tom is gone. Yay!

I caught back up to the series. Last night, I watched Requiem. It's one of the best episodes I've ever seen. It's amazing. It's one of the best episodes of any show I've ever seen.

You need to catch up to this show just to experience Requiem. Requiem turns a background character into a main character that is challenging the lead of the show, a super charasmatic lead of the show that strikes fear into powerful people... and Requiem not only makes you root for the background character (Mr. Kaplan), it makes you realize that Mr. Kaplan ain't scared of shit.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Blacklist is amazing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 10:17:39 AM »
Agreed

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 12:11:32 AM »

It's not that The Wire hasn't aged well, it's just that everyone's finally getting around to noticing it's flaws that I saw on day 1.  :p

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 12:23:10 AM »
Agreed

About everything Fatty said, or mainly about Blacklist?

If you like the show, I'll try and check it out, since I know you're pretty hard to impress.  (Wish it was on HBO or something though, instead of NBC.  Gonna either need to wait on repeats, pirate it, or try getting that free month Netflix subscription..)

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 01:55:15 PM »
mainly about the blacklist

it's available on demand

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »
Don't know about your service, but the one I'm using generally only has the latest season, with the rest going to Netflix.

Unless it's a premium channel like HBO of course.

Some exceptions, like Simpsons (No idea why)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:01:41 PM by DocSavage »