Author Topic: Death of a grandparent  (Read 213 times)

Kayafaber

• View Profile
Death of a grandparent
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »
Its been a week, but my maternal grandmother decided it was time to leave the bldg on 5/5. I've been having a hard time with it because on the one hand she was bed ridden and had dementia, but it was also the last of my grandparents to leave us. I will miss her greatly.

IMISSTORRIEWILSON

• View Profile
Re: Death of a grandparent
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »
I am sorry for your loss but when a person is bed ridden and their mind is already gone they are pretty much already dead in my eyes. I hate to say it like that but its the truth. MY mother's mother the last 7 years of her life she just sat in her bed and her mind was already gone and she ate slept pooped and that was it. My father's mother died a few years back and her mind was as sharp as ever but her body just gave out on her.  Both my grandmother's went in their late 80s.

MY grandfather is 86 and he has to be in the top 1 percent of men his age (health wise) walking planet earth. He never drank smoked did drugs or over ate. He is a child of the great depression so he always learned to do with less.  He is 5ft 7 in 150 pounds and still cuts his own grass and does his own yard work. The one down side is for all he worked in life he has little to show for it but a lot of that is on his own hands making foolish business decisions.

dam skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 12:52:02 AM »
You are in my prayers. I hope you find peace in the chaos. I am sorry for your loss.

Kayafaber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 07:24:08 AM »
I am sorry for your loss but when a person is bed ridden and their mind is already gone they are pretty much already dead in my eyes.

No offense taken. Towards the end I couldn't even go over the house to see her anymore, it hurt too much to see my grandmother like that I'm just glad I said my goodbyes I week before she left, kissed her on the forehead, told her I loved her...ect. I dont wish dementia on anyone. I honestly feel like the last bit of my innocence left this earth.

I dont know what's worse-Mind gone, body ok or body gone, mind ok.

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »
No offense taken. Towards the end I couldn't even go over the house to see her anymore, it hurt too much to see my grandmother like that I'm just glad I said my goodbyes I week before she left, kissed her on the forehead, told her I loved her...ect. I dont wish dementia on anyone. I honestly feel like the last bit of my innocence left this earth.

I dont know what's worse-Mind gone, body ok or body gone, mind ok.

Sometimes depends on whether you're on the inside looking out, or on the outside looking in.

Prime

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • A1-Wrestling
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 03:37:11 AM »

Very sorry for your loss Kaya.

When my dad's mom died, she had Alzheimer's, and for the last year of her life it was so hard to go visit her. Some days she knew who I was, other days we had to explain and give her my whole life story every 20 minutes. It was agonizing.

Kayafaber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 11:29:46 AM »
When my dad's mom died, she had Alzheimer's, and for the last year of her life it was so hard to go visit her. Some days she knew who I was, other days we had to explain and give her my whole life story every 20 minutes. It was agonizing.

Thank you
One of my "uncles" has it too. The retelling is the worst, watching her waste away was awful but I'm glad that she doesn't have to suffer anymore.

I got real annoyed with the priest because the Eulogy he gave was akin to Eva Marie matches. If I would of given it it would of gone like this.

Interrupt, no hand shake, give better Eulogy, .......dive! (not the last part)

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
    • South Atlanta Wrestling
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 12:54:12 AM »
Sorry to hear this. It's tough, and I lost a grandmother about seven years ago who was in similar shape.  She was 83 and had advanced dementia.  It's never easy. 

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
I know exactly how it feels. All my grandparents have passed, and both my grandmothers had dementia in their final years. It's hard. I am sorry for your loss.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 09:10:21 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss.

Both of my grandmother's passed on, also with dementia.  I'd be lying if I said both affected me equally.

But both grandfather's are holding in there, with one living on his own and one in the hospital (Took a fall, didn't break anything but his face looked like it had third degree burns on it.  Also, an idiot nurse thought it would be a good idea to leave a 94 year old man who can't even set a cover himself with a boiling hot liquid.  You can guess what happened next (Hint: He was only wearing a robe.  Guess the absolute worst thing that can happen to a man in this scenerio..)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:14:45 PM by DocSavage »

Freakshow

• puts the 'serf' in microserf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 11:04:32 PM »

Oh, hey man.  From experience, the last one is hardest as they're typically the stubborn ones.  But we love them for that.

Thoughts from North Dakota, eh?