Author Topic: So, lawyers..  (Read 122 times)

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
So, lawyers..
« on: August 13, 2017, 09:16:22 AM »
The state just put my father in the hospital.

He's been fighting them for four months about care for his 94 year old father (My grandfather), after he suffered a fall and had to stay in another hospital.  Unfortunately, he wasn't at the VA, which would have covered everything, so we're on the hook for the bill.

A social worker claimed if we keep him there for a month and deplete all his assets, the state will step in and cover it, and maybe we can get him at home care.

That was four months ago.  Since then, the case workers been dragging her feet.  Been hard to even contact, asked us about two vehicles he never even owned and couldn't be bothered to check on (We got the proof), and told us outright she's just been sitting on the case.  Her boss wasn't any better, he told us flat out the state isn't paying for at home care, and will take his entire social security check.  When asked how he's supposed to live without money, the guy said "The state doesn't care!".  I kid you not.

So that's where we're at, and then today he has a heart attack. 

Naturally, I want to do something, but I'm just not sure what there is TO do..  The workers don't give a crap, and if I contacted our representative, what am I supposed to tell him?  Not like he's gonna make them at least do their jobs, instead of sit on it forever and he impossible to contact..  (May as well ask him to hurry up the dmv.)

But I'm open to suggestions anyways..  Anything except for "Get a lawyer", which unfortunately isn't an option at the moment (Can't afford one..)

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: So, lawyers..
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
I don't have any advice but I hope your dad gets better

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
I wouldn't even know where to begin, this is 100% out of my legal wheelhouse.    Sorry man.
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:40:35 PM »
It's fine, I was mostly venting anyways.  Thanks for listening and replying though.  :)

And he's already out of the hospital. One blocked artery, another in bad shape.  Nothing he could have done, it's just genetics, as his father/my grandfather had a triple bypass/open heart.  Wasn't expected to live past 50, and here he is at nearly 95 (While all the other people he knew in his generation who had a similar condition have passed on..)

Guess it's something to look forward to.  That and kidney stones..  :)

Anyways, this could have been a lot worse, so I'm happy (Of course, the doctors/nurses initially told him he wasn't having a heart attack.   Said the same thing to my sister when she suffered an anurysm, and told her it was just a headache.  Seriously,  having it happen twice to two family members is pretty scary stuff, and really makes you realize you've gotta stick to your guns against these guys who think they know your body reactions better then you do..)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:47:49 PM by DocSavage »

dam skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 10:44:41 PM »
I feel your pain and am praying for you and your family.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 04:59:40 AM »
how is your sister?

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »
how is your sister?

Tara's making her live in boyfriend miserable.  :)

When it happened about five years ago, we were very lucky to get the top surgeon.  She decided to go with a clamp through an incision in the head, instead of an alternative wire thing they stick through an artery/vein in the arm. 

Basically, the wire leaves no head scar for the prima donna's.  But it's not a sure thing, and has never really been tested into old age.  So my sister went with the sensible decision, and puts on some false hair clips to cover the scar.

I won't lie, her condition colors my opinion about health care a bit, as almost no one wanted to touch her after she recovered (She made the mistake of being covered under a joint plan with her last boyfriend, and then they broke up.  Right after she recovered.)

Thanks for asking.  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:56:00 AM by DocSavage »

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »
My father in law had one years ago (before I met him) but they didn't find it till it burst. The rest of his life he was like a 5 year old (over 30 years)

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 08:40:17 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that, BobbyR.

For me, that's the worst case scenerio..  Not dying, but being alive with complete loss of agency.  At that point, you're at the mercy of a medical establishment and law system that won't allow you the dignity of a favorite pet dog well past its prime (As my grandfather puts it.)

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:37 AM »
I'm glad your sister recovered