Author Topic: Relay for Life 2012 - Please support Cancer Research!  (Read 438 times)

A Very Smug Bear

• View Profile
    • www.dancingbear.com
Relay for Life 2012 - Please support Cancer Research!
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
It's that time of the year again. It's our second year running our own team, Saving 2nd Base, in the local Relay for Life. If you don't know Relay for Life is a 2 day event organized by local people for The American Cancer Society to raise money for cancer research. I know I don't post here as much as I used to but I'm asking you to support not me, but the millions of people who are battling cancer, those who have survived or even those who care for loved ones they have lost or are currently caring for. Any donation helps, no matter what the size. So I'm just asking, if you can, to make a contribution to the cause. $5, 10, whatever, every donation no matter what the size helps.

My fiance has been working hard these past couple months gathering donations for raffles, and I really think this year between her efforts and the support of our friends (e-friends!) and family we're really going to knock it out of the park this year, but we can't do that without the support of those friends and family. So like I said, anything helps! Below you'll find a link to our team page on Facebook where you can see all the great work Mary has been doing gathering donations from vendors online for us to raffle off. I'd say she has already gotten product donations from 30-40 vendors.

She has been working so hard and I just want to help her out as much as I can, so I'm counting on YOU, the A1 community I've been a part of for almost a decade in a half to help out if you are able. Believe me I understand if you can't afford to right now, I don't want you to feel obligated to donate if things are tight. But if you have a few extra bucks, anything is appreciated.

Thanks!

Here is the link to our team page on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/mysaving2ndbase

Here is the link to our relay page where you can make a donation
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY12NE?px=6723841&pg=personal&fr_id=39529

FATSEXY

• View Profile
Re: Relay for Life 2012 - Please support Cancer Research!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
I just dropped a hundy on raffle tickets to try to win an iPad 2, or I would hook you up.

A Very Smug Bear

• View Profile
    • www.dancingbear.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »
bump

Havok816

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
Is there a cut-off for donations?  I want to donate, but money is a bit tight at the moment.  Might be able to give some soon.

My cousin's husband was diagnosed with lung cancer just after Christmas and it's already spread to his bone marrow.  The doctors have gone from giving him a year and a half to about 5 months.

A little over a year ago, my mom's best friend was sick for a couple of weeks.  She thought it was the flu, but her family convinced her to go to the doctor.  They found that she had lung cancer and was given a similar prognosis of about 15 months.  Then they found it had spread to her liver and they said she only had a few months.  Then it spread to her brain.  She passed away just before Christmas, a little under a month after it was detected.

Fuck cancer.

A Very Smug Bear

• View Profile
    • www.dancingbear.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 03:50:20 PM »
Relay isn't until June so there is plenty of time. Sorry to hear that, if you go to the facebook page you can submit a picture and we will put it up at the relay if you want to.

Havok816

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »
According to my Grandma and Aunt, Dave(cousin's husband) decided to go off his meds today.  One of his lungs has shut down and the other is in bad shape.  Rather than try to fight a losing battle, he wants to go with dignity.

Update: He passed away Saturday morning.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:53:32 PM by Havok816 »