Author Topic: Arrow  (Read 12245 times)

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Arrow
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »
from ew.com

The CW’s Arrow is not only the network’s best new show, it’s also one of the the best freshman fall shows on any network. Is it a CW bite-sized hoodie-wearing version of Batman Begins? A bit. But if you’re going to be inspired by a superhero origin movie, that’s a great place to start. Below are six things to know about The Green Arrow’s return to TV next week:
1. He’s just called Arrow: Though Arrow is based on The Green Arrow comic books, showrunners Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg have shortened the character’s name, reportedly to sound less comic-book-ish.
2. He’s not a liberal. The DC Comics version of Arrow is famously considered a very left-wing character. Kreisberg told critics last July that some of that sensibility will remain, noting “there are some echoes of the One Percenters and Occupy Wall Street within the show.” But star Stephen Amell later told EW that the “liberal” tag was overblown by the media. “I think it’s a mistake to say Oliver Queen is a liberal superhero targeting the wealthy,” Amell says. “He’s targeting people who abuse their powers. Now is that mostly going to be the wealthy? Sure. Is Arrow a Democrat? Absolutely not. Is he a Republican? No, he’s not that either. He’s an idealist. And he’s going after a certain type of person, not a certain class of people.”
3. The island flashbacks will continue through the entire series. Flashbacks showing how a callow young rich kid became a lethal crime fighter will be a major part of the show. “The Arrow is the only character I can think of who can sustain a 5-year origin story — because of the island,” Guggenheim says. “The last episode of the series will be Arrow seeing the [rescue] boat in the pilot.” Now that’s proving you know your story — a producer that will actually tell you what’s in the series finale before the first episode airs!
4. Arrow plays rough. He’s not like Superman or Batman with some firm (and, let’s face it, impractical) moral code against killing psychopathic criminals. Arrow isn’t out to hurt anybody, but if he’s forced to defend himself, he’s not going to aim for your legs. “Every hero’s actions are influenced by his origin story,” Guggenheim says. “For Bruce Wayne [Batman], seeing his parents murdered with gun violence left him with this code that death is not necessary. For Oliver, his experience happened on this island. It’s a very violent and dark place where other men lost their lives and their souls. He’s a moral man and a good man and he believes in justice but the tools he uses to weed out justice are heavily honed by the crucible of his time on the island …Arrow has a popcorn feel about it, but we’re trying to be real about the story we’re telling.”
5. Two major new characters will be introduced in future episodes: Arrow will eventually meet a mysterious fellow millionaire played by Torchwood‘s John Barrowman, and encounter one DC Comics’ ferocious females — The Huntress, a mob boss’ vengeful daughter, played by Aussie TV actress Jessica De Gouw.
6. Keep an eye on Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy): In the comics, Arrow’s former flame eventually morphs into his crime-fighting partner Black Canary (guess the name Robin was taken). Producers haven’t confirmed this will likewise happen in the show, but we say it’s a safe bet. “Everyone wants to know when Laurel turns into the Black Canary,” Cassidy says. “And will there be fishnets.”

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
Re: Arrow
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:32:56 AM »
I had wondered why they didn't use the same actor.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »
I'm getting really tired of people putting Batman on the same level as Superman when it comes to moral code.  You know what Batman's moral code is?

"I'm the mother fucking Batman and will do whatever damn well pleases me.  If I wanna toss this guy off a building to his death or just knock this guy out and take him to the police.  Fuck y'all.  I'm Batman."

Jamal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
I had wondered why they didn't use the same actor.

New show, fresh start with no ties to Smallville.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »
I'm getting really tired of people putting Batman on the same level as Superman when it comes to moral code.  You know what Batman's moral code is?

"I'm the mother fucking Batman and will do whatever damn well pleases me.  If I wanna toss this guy off a building to his death or just knock this guy out and take him to the police.  Fuck y'all.  I'm Batman."

batman throws razor sharp batarangs at people's faces.  how has he not killed more people?

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 12:23:52 AM »

Bats is the Bad Cop to Supes' Good Cop. They both hate the bad guys, but go about things differently. Bats doesn't kill, as that would make him no better than the criminals. He and Gordan have had conversations about that. But he certainly is not above breaking knees or ribs.

Ollie, if he's pushed enough, can get pretty grisly.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 12:41:11 AM »
Bullshit,  Bats kills ALL THE FUCKING TIME!  Directly and most often indirectly.  The amount of bad guys he has let die from falls or being run over or anything is astronomical and believe me...he could save them if he truly wanted to.  He just doesn't so he can "feel" good since he "Didn't kill them"

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »
Bullshit,  Bats kills ALL THE FUCKING TIME!  Directly and most often indirectly.  The amount of bad guys he has let die from falls or being run over or anything is astronomical and believe me...he could save them if he truly wanted to.  He just doesn't so he can "feel" good since he "Didn't kill them"

"I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you..."

I think there's a difference. At least in Bats' mind.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
In his mind there's a difference sure but that's just a coping method being used to self justify.

"I didn't kill him Your Honor.  He fell and I just didn't help save him from it."  That's not going to hold up in court with the kind of cases Bats would come under.

Don't get me wrong I love Bats but he is a stone cold killer to the core.  His fragile traumatized psyche just makes justifications to protect himself from fully losing it.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 11:49:29 PM »
Rant incoming.  Putting it in spoiler tags, so don't read it, if you don't want to hear it, but I can promise Oliver being a stone cold killer is not my issue:

Spoiler  :
The writing on the show is...  not good.

Ok, so Oliver goes on a cruise with a detectives daughter and his girlfriends sister, who he cheated on her with, and they both die.  I can understand secretly wishing he was the one who died, but they were basically acting like he's responsible for the tragedy.  I mean, come on, it was a freak accident..  How much blame could you really lay on the man?   

So, Arrow's a stone cold killer..  He's Punisher with a bow and arrow, basically.  Fine, except he kills everyone except the main bad guy.  He kills his bodyguards just to make a stupid threat, and when the rich bastard refuses to deliver, he breaks into his building and kills more bodyguards and god knows who else, just to use a trick arrow to hack into his computer network and steal his money.

Some points on why this is stupid:

1.  Why even give him a chance to make good?  Did he really think the rich asshole would knuckle under.

2.  Batman would not have charged in and killed everyone, even if he was a killer.  Hell, Punisher would have been smarter then that.  If his goal was only to hack his system, there's so many better ways to go about it..  How about sneaking into the building when all the police you alerted with your stupid threats aren't there, for example? 

3.  If he MUST make a show with all the killing, why not kill the rich guy AND steal his money?  He's the ONLY guy who actually deserves to die..  The other people he kills are just doing their job.  So why stop short of driving an arrow through the mans heart?

4.  Considering all the crime drama's out there, I think by now everyone knows when there's a murder, there's usually a through investigation.  Yet somehow, they completely miss the arrow sticking out of the wall with a router like light blinking on the tail end of it. O_o  I mean, didn't anyone ask him for a detailed account of what happened?  Didn't they look for evidence on the scene?  How long was that arrow sticking out of the wall, anyways?  And the blinking connectivity light is just dumb...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:52:37 PM by DocSavage »

Jamal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 02:05:28 AM »
Rant incoming.  Putting it in spoiler tags, so don't read it, if you don't want to hear it, but I can promise Oliver being a stone cold killer is not my issue:

Spoiler  :
The writing on the show is...  not good.

Ok, so Oliver goes on a cruise with a detectives daughter and his girlfriends sister, who he cheated on her with, and they both die.  I can understand secretly wishing he was the one who died, but they were basically acting like he's responsible for the tragedy.  I mean, come on, it was a freak accident..  How much blame could you really lay on the man?   

So, Arrow's a stone cold killer..  He's Punisher with a bow and arrow, basically.  Fine, except he kills everyone except the main bad guy.  He kills his bodyguards just to make a stupid threat, and when the rich bastard refuses to deliver, he breaks into his building and kills more bodyguards and god knows who else, just to use a trick arrow to hack into his computer network and steal his money.

Some points on why this is stupid:

1.  Why even give him a chance to make good?  Did he really think the rich asshole would knuckle under.

2.  Batman would not have charged in and killed everyone, even if he was a killer.  Hell, Punisher would have been smarter then that.  If his goal was only to hack his system, there's so many better ways to go about it..  How about sneaking into the building when all the police you alerted with your stupid threats aren't there, for example? 

3.  If he MUST make a show with all the killing, why not kill the rich guy AND steal his money?  He's the ONLY guy who actually deserves to die..  The other people he kills are just doing their job.  So why stop short of driving an arrow through the mans heart?

4.  Considering all the crime drama's out there, I think by now everyone knows when there's a murder, there's usually a through investigation.  Yet somehow, they completely miss the arrow sticking out of the wall with a router like light blinking on the tail end of it. O_o  I mean, didn't anyone ask him for a detailed account of what happened?  Didn't they look for evidence on the scene?  How long was that arrow sticking out of the wall, anyways?  And the blinking connectivity light is just dumb...

*Face palms*  :dash_mini:

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 02:35:43 AM »
Come on, it's hardly nitpicky to call them on the police and detectives apparently going "Ok, the bad guy got away.  Lets go watch a ball game." 

There's suspension of disbelief, and there's outright stupidity and lazy writing.  And what happened with Arrow's little trick "hacker arrow" going unnoticed, and the police response to multiple homicides, is the latter..

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:38:21 AM »
New show, fresh start with no ties to Smallville.

Except for the major plot holes.

Smallville was full of them.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 12:57:01 AM »
is this written by the same people who wrote smallville?  cause the smallville writing was horrible.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »
My biggest problem with smallvill was clark was kind of a dick

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
is this written by the same people who wrote smallville?  cause the smallville writing was horrible.

David Nutter did the pilot for both.

But a different team is working on it now, so I may give it another chance, if I remember to DVR it.   

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »
I finally started watching. Saw the first 2-1/2 episodes (On demand stopped working) I'm liking it - I like a hero willing to kill. I'm getting a bit of a Dexter vibe too

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »
I finally started watching. Saw the first 2-1/2 episodes (On demand stopped working) I'm liking it - I like a hero willing to kill. I'm getting a bit of a Dexter vibe too

Same day/week repeats have spoiled me, so I don't normally dvr, but I missed this last arrow.

I don't mind killing, if it's not senseless killing.  My biggest gripe with the pilot is that all the killing could have been avoided, considering his goal wasn't to murder the evil rich guy or any of his goons, but to hack his computers.  There were smarter, subtler ways to go about that.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
Anyone still watching? I still like it. Although the end of episode 7 for a minute Ollie was reminding me of Clark's do as I say not as I do attitude

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »
I guess I'm the only fan. So Slade isn't deathstroke, his best friend is?

BTW - great line - "I may be blonde, but I'm not that blonde"

Bront

• View Profile
    • Bront.org
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
Nah, I'm guessing he'll be Deathstroke later on.

Was odd to see Crixus there.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »
I think you're right
who is Crixus?

tfbrave

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
I've been enjoying the show too but end up a couple of weeks behind due to working a lot of weekends lately. The guy training Ollie to take the plane in the 2/13 episode played Crixus on Spartacus. Considering that series is in the can and done after this season glad to see that he has found another gig. I hope he is able to stay on for a while.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 10:06:13 PM »
Just watched all of the first season on Netflix.  It's not bad. I like the take on his story though they REALLY need to come up with a new name for him.  They aren't calling him The Green Arrow because it sounds ridiculous so instead the call him The Hood or just The Vigilante?  Think they need to re-evaluate what sounds ridiculous.

Shocked at all the appearances of non-Green Arrow related characters showing up.  Mainly Huntress and Firefly.  Also, the sister's nickname being Speedy but ends up dating Roy Harper, aka Arsenal, aka Speedy, is just fucking hilarious.

Not sure how I feel about Slade Wilson and Deathstroke being different people.  However, there are still 4 seasons to go.

Like the flashback story telling aspect where over the course of the season you see a years worth of events on The Island.  Honestly, his time on The Island has me interested the most.

Plot holes and utter lack of intelligence in some characters aside it's not bad story telling wise.  Nothing spectacular but what I expect from this kind of show

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »
How's it compared to Smallville? People watching the current season say it's Smallville with just the fun parts.