Author Topic: Supergirl (CBS)  (Read 4882 times)

SCB

• View Profile
Re: Supergirl (CBS)
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 02:55:13 PM »

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 11:29:36 AM »
Picked up for a full season.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 12:04:38 PM »
Time slot announced. Mondays at 8pm, same time as Gotham in November.

SUPERGIRL is an action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El (Melissa Benoist), Superman’s (Kal-El) cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents’ help at the same time as the infant Kal-El. Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers, Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex (Chyler Leigh), and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant (Golden Globe Award winner Calista Flockhart), who just hired the Daily Planet’s former photographer, James Olsen (Mehcad Brooks), as her new art director. However, Kara’s days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw (David Harewood), head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Though Kara will need to find a way to manage her newfound empowerment with her very human relationships, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl to fight crime. Greg Berlanti (“The Flash,” “Arrow”), Ali Adler, Sarah Schecter and Andrew Kreisberg are executive producers for Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. The pilot was directed by Glen Winter (“Arrow”).

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 06:15:35 PM »
Trailer

I can totally see why the CW passed on this if they're going for the male demographic. I can also see how this is from the same team as Arrow and Flash, but I hope it's more like the CW shows and less Mindy Project. That trailer just screamed girl power a little too much.

I like how much Superman is referenced. I'd be really annoyed if they did this show and always tried avoiding any reference to him.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 07:03:20 PM »
I don't know, but I'll give it a shot

SupTool

• View Profile
    • Flying Heel Productions
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »
I'm thinking/hoping the girl power stuff is only in the first episode.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »
That is...interesting...

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 08:41:18 PM »
Looks like it's aiming for the Gilmore Girls crowd.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
I liked Gilmore Girls. Last thing I enjoyed Melissa McCarthy in 

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 09:36:12 PM »
I'll give it a chance.

What I'd really like to see is a Batgirl show, though.  Specifically Cassandra Cain..  Her back story has tv drama written all over it, what with being raised by an assassin to be a living weapon, not even learning how to communicate other then through body language reading, and eventually being taken under Batmans wing and discovering friends, boys, and yearning for a life outside of fighting.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
    • South Atlanta Wrestling
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 11:13:53 PM »
I liked it fine. I will try to give it a look.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2015, 12:51:50 AM »
Just to put some things into perspective:

1. This is made by the same people as Arrow and Flash. CBS and CW are sister networks, but CBS has a much bigger budget, so it will potentially look better than the previous two production wise.

2. This is just a trailer for the pilot episode. They'll accomplish more in this episode than ten years of Smallville.

3. The guy that asks Kara out and helps her out with her Supergirl outfit is the future Toyman, and looks to be her Cisco/Felicity archetype. Or you can look at him as the Caitlin archetype, future villain, current ally and friend of the protagonist.

4. The military guy hunting bad meta humans is Hank Henshaw, who is working with Supergirl, maybe as the Harrison Wells of the show. Bad guy helping out the hero, but with bad intentions. Maybe.

And just for fun

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »
After watching the horrible Jem and the Holograms trailer, the girl power stuff in this doesn't feel as bad.

Hopefully this is just a bad CBS marketing team misrepresenting a good show.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »
This is a parody of how clueless Marvel would be on making a Black Widow movie, but it is eerily similar to the real Supergirl trailer, almost too much.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2015, 07:59:28 PM »
Keep in mind they are doing a Ms. Marvel movie

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »
Trailer re-cut without any of the nonsense.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »
Pilot leaked online...only 6 months early.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »
Pilot leaked online...only 6 months early.

Happened with both Flash and Constantine.  I don't believe they're leaks anymore lol

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »
I actually watched an HD copy on Youtube before it was taken down  :lol:

Pilot was decent, nothing special. It was like the trailer, with less of a feminist heavy tone, but it's still the theme of episode.

It was closer to the Flash than Arrow, but even more light hearted since this has almost no tragedy in her origin.

I think the strongest part of the episode the opening origin flashback of how she came Earth and who she meets right away, including her adopted parents.

It's just the pilot, but my main problem with the show is Kara herself. Personality wise, she's a weak goofy pushover. And I don't think she's pretending like Superman does as Clark as his disguise. I've always liked the recent portrayal of Supergirl with Jeph Loeb before he left for Marvel where she's Superman without the humility, due to her adolescence on Earth. She knows how powerful she is and walks through people who want to put her in her place.

Overall, I want to keep watching more and see where they go with this considering it's from Greg Berlanti, same guy behind Flash and Arrow. They'd be foolish not to tie this in with the other three shows. Cisco's reaction to her would be awesome and you have to put Brandon Routh/Atom with her eventually.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:34:28 PM by SCB »

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2015, 10:03:03 AM »
This summary is accurate.

And of course for us geeks there would be the hilarity of seeing a former Superman meeting the current Supergirl.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2015, 10:24:34 AM »
Didn't Loeb also write her going over to Darkseid's team due to teen drama bs?

But yeah, maybe Kara will grow into her role and gain confidence...  So far, everyone's protected her and lied to her, so acting off balance is understandable..

Now, if they're shooting for an "endearing" Clark Kent for the long haul, that would be a mistake..  Even a timid, socially awkward teen isn't going to find a timid, socially awkward supergirl relatable, and be put off about it like everyone else...

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »

Loeb's Supergirl is the most interesting take on her I've ever seen and really hoped it'd be this show's version.

CBS kind of said they won't do any crossovers with Flash and Arrow oil the show becomes successful on it's own, which is fair I suppose. I'm wondering how that would be possible anyway. Cisco would be talking about how bad ass Superman was all the time since he exists already. The best and easiest loophole would be the current multiverse and multiple Earths storyline on the Flash. Just make Superman and Supergirl from Earth 3 or something where Flash and Green Arrow don't exist.

Someone on another board pointed out why is she wearing glasses even before needed a secret identity.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2015, 11:05:10 AM »
Didn't Loeb also write her going over to Darkseid's team due to teen drama bs?

But yeah, maybe Kara will grow into her role and gain confidence...  So far, everyone's protected her and lied to her, so acting off balance is understandable..

Now, if they're shooting for an "endearing" Clark Kent for the long haul, that would be a mistake..  Even a timid, socially awkward teen isn't going to find a timid, socially awkward supergirl relatable, and be put off about it like everyone else...

If memory serves that was a recently awoken Supergirl.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2015, 06:53:05 PM »

Someone on another board pointed out why is she wearing glasses even before needed a secret identity.

Well, they established she knows all about her cousin.  So, it's not that unusual she'd follow in his footsteps.

Plus, as a space alien, jusf blending into Earth culture counts as a "secret identity", whether or not she puts on a cape.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2015, 11:29:54 PM »
Flash rumored to make an appearance during the final episodes.