Author Topic: Gotham (FOX)  (Read 7036 times)

SCB

• View Profile
Gotham (FOX)
« on: September 23, 2014, 02:15:09 AM »
I thought the pilot was decent to good. It's not as good as Arrow or Flash pilots, but those I consider great and something all these other shows should strive to be. I liked it a lot more than the Agents of Shield pilot. It's a lot to live up to since it's Batman. Plus with Nolan making Batman Begins and Batman: Year One comic coming before that, this is very familiar territory to get right on television.

The show opens with a young Selina Kyle pick pocketing food and wallets. She's pretty much Catwoman already it seems, just based on appearance. More of a tease than anything and they're teasing a link to Bruce as well.

The death of Bruce's parents was pretty straight forward. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as the star of the show, I like Ben Mackenzie as a young Gordon. He needs to be further developed, but so far I'm behind him and curious how he fights the insane amount of corruption and crime without Batman for several years. They did make him a bad ass and former war hero, so they're getting all the basics right.

Donald Logue was an inspired choice for Harvey Bullock. I was initially surprised he wasn't cast as Flask, but based on how his character is written on this show, he is basically Flask and Bullock. Not sure which character he'll eventually end up becoming. I'm thinking Gordon might sway him on his side eventually. Although I love Donald Logue as a villain.

Jada Pinket Smith is interesting as the generic mob boss villain. I have no real complaints about her, just that I wish they'd chosen an actual character from the comics instead. Although she's sort of a catalyst for Penguin.

I can't say much about young Bruce and Alfred yet. Hardly any screen time, but nobody on the show really annoyed me or made me roll my eyes as far as acting and characters go.

The show kind of lacks subtlety since everyone who is supposed to become someone you know is pretty much that person the first time you meet them. Again, I wasn't bothered by this. I suppose the show went out of it's way to meet all the bare minimums for me.

For a show about Batman without Batman, it has potential depending on what they do from this point on. I have no idea what that might be, but I'm genuinely curious about the next episode.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:18:38 AM by SCB »

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
Re: Gotham (FOX)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:33:43 PM »
Liked the show in general.  The pier walk annoyed me, because it was obvious what was going to happen, and came across as kind of lazy writing..  (Sure, Bullock didn't hear him swim away, and never thought to confirm the kill..  whatever.)

And yeah, the show's no Arrow..  The fact they felt they had to put Riddler, Poison Ivy, and Penguin in there at the start, just to draw people in is kind of a red flag for me, to be honest.  (Ivy especially,  didn't really serve any purpose except to get fans to say "Look, it's Ivy as a kid!")
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:55:14 PM by DocSavage »

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 12:03:33 AM »
I'll hopefully be watching in the next 24 hours. I don't have much hope given it's FOX.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 01:44:49 AM »
Well they ordered a full season and they haven't filmed most of it yet, so they can listen to feedback and improve it further.

Plus they paid a ton of money for Batman characters, so they're pretty serious about making this succeed. And on top of that, they picked up Lucifer to do next.

Not saying any of this will do well, but they're not taking this superhero tv show thing lightly.

This was also a lot better than the Constantine pilot.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 01:08:02 PM »
How is it I never knew that Clark and Bruce both had moms named Martha?

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »
How is it I never knew that Clark and Bruce both had moms named Martha?

In most of the Batman mythology that I'm aware of (which, admittedly, isn't much), Martha and Thomas Wayne are pretty fringe characters. Generally, I only hear about them when they're getting gunned down in an alleyway.

Martha Kent is a much bigger player in the Superman mythos, relatively speaking.

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:18:48 PM »
I thought it was fucking great, just watched it.  All in.
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 12:51:02 AM »
Legal type link of the premiere http://www.fox.com/watch/331992131936

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 02:44:24 PM »
Really good preview of future episodes including the creation of Arkham.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »
I probably should have started this and saved BBT for on demand

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 02:10:22 AM »
I really enjoyed and got into the second episode. If you're looking for a superhero show though, this isn't it. It's a crime drama with sprinkles of Gotham characters, and if executed properly like this episode, it's a good show.

The child trafficking duo were good evil villains.

The story of catching them just flowed extremely well with Bullock preventing Gordon from even looking into the case, to all the chain of events that made it a must to catch them, even if it was for the wrong reasons.

I'm conflicted on Bullock. This guy is a dirty scumbag, but not evil and shows hints of a good side you want to root for. I'm curious if he's the same character end of this season. I like him though. As bad as he is, he's basically a good cop compared to everyone else on the force. Gotham is so corrupt, Gordon is considered the trouble maker for wanting to keep things clean.

I'm actually really enjoying Jada Pinkett's Smith's performance as Fish Mooney. It was a little over the top in the pilot, but she's making the character it's own thing here and having fun with it.

Penguin is also killing it, no pun intended. It's sort of a nice Heath Ledger-esque re-imagining of the character without going full Danny DeVito. When ever he's on, the show becomes fun.

Little Selina Kyle has me intrigued now. I want to see a Selina centric episode where we just follow her story.

The Bruce stuff was starting to get fun. It's good they're taking their time with him to build the bridge to a future Bruce. I liked Alfred scolding him for sneaking up on him.

They set up a very nice time bomb with Gordon fake killing the Penguin. As soon as Penguin shows back up in Gotham, Gordon's dirty cop cover is blown you'll have a long list of a chain of command who will be very pissed at him starting with Bullock, the police chief, Fish Mooney, and up at the top with Falcone.

Looking forward to next week in hopes they'll follow up on Selina some more.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »
Finished first episode and all I could think really was "Meh?"

I liked the Bullock/Gordon parts dealing with investigating and the corruption but felt almost insulted at all the "HEY LOOK IT'S YOUNG *Batman villain #4".  The only one that didn't feel forced was Penguin.  I don't give a shit about young Ivy (WHO'S REAL NAME ISN'T EVEN FUCKING IVY), Selina Kyle, Riddler (seriously he's that old already and works for the cops?!), and Joker.  Every time one of them showed up it just made me want to go watch Batman: The Animated Series or play the Arkham games.

This show has potential I feel if they just focus on Bullock/Gordon dealing with normal organized crime in Gotham.  There is a lot of potential there.  Every time you try and include the classic villains (are they really about to have young Selina and Bruce meet?!) I feel almost insulted...

EDIT: And you obviously are wanting to include young Bruce in this show.  I get and understand that.  There's a simple way to do it without him getting involved with his villains for later in his life.  Have Gordon become a friend/mentor to him.  Little interactions here and there teaching him about combat or detective work
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:07:22 PM by RealMarchHare »

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 04:09:09 AM »
I dunno. I feel like we really need to care about Jim Gordon, and so far, I really don't. Right now, it's just Penguin and Selina who are keeping me tuned in, and Selina only because her eyes are so far apart.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
I dunno. I feel like we really need to care about Jim Gordon, and so far, I really don't. Right now, it's just Penguin and Selina who are keeping me tuned in, and Selina only because her eyes are so far apart.

Haven't seen the second episode yet so can't say anything about Selina that I haven't already said based on the first.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »
OK, that balloon thing was awesome

And the murder victim was named Cranston. Before I could come on here and say it was a nod to The Shadow, another character named Lamont shows up. This show gets better and better - I love little shit like that, when I happen to catch it LOL

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 08:21:37 PM »
sorry not that murder victim, the thug cop was Cranston
And the balloon guy dresses like the shadow

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 02:26:28 AM »
Another episode I liked. Nothing must see though til the last scene with Penguin showing up at Gordon's doorstep.

I like the actor they cast as Sal Maroni. This is the guy that eventually creates Two-Face and Harvey Dent is set to come to Gotham this season at some point.

The weather balloon vigilante was interesting enough, but a little too forced speaking in codes about a future Batman.

I'm glad they didn't do the story where Gordon's wife thinks he killed Penguin the entire season and Gordon never admits he didn't. Penguin showing up clears that all up. Now things might get interesting because Gordon's semi dirty cop cover is blown with just about everyone who pulls the strings, including his co-workers.

The Bruce stuff was whatever. A little too forced. It'd be better if they hardly ever showed him on the show rather than trying to make him into a future Batman in silly ways like investigating his parents murder at his age.

On a related note. This week we'll get extra superhero awesomeness.

Monday - Gotham
Tuesday - Flash and Agents of Shield back to back
Wednesday - Arrow

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
I'd say the show is improving from the first episode.  Nothing fantastic yet but just enough to keep me tuned for the moment

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 11:52:07 PM »
Flash is actually Wednesday, after Arrow.

Wonder if they'll release a promotional skin for Injustice:  Gods Among Us, like they did for Arrow?  :)

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 01:44:58 AM »
Um Flash was tonight. I'm watching it now. 

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 02:11:41 AM »
nt, never mind.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:22:35 AM by DocSavage »

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 08:58:13 PM »
Who is this new girl, is he a character from the books, or someone new?

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 01:46:53 AM »
Other than every scene with the Penguin, I thought this was a very dull episode.

Penguin was very entertaining and watching his slow rise in Gotham is actually compelling. This should just be his show. Get rid of everyone else, except Selina. I think there's potential there.

Gordon and Bullock chasing a guy who uses a special stabbing tool? I miss the golden age of this show where the villain of the week is the weather balloon guy.

I think it's where the show is headed, but this could be a much more entertaining show if Gordon and Penguin work closely together to fight crime, much like Bullock and Fish Mooney do.

Random girls auditioning for Fish Mooney to do random stuff? This could have been much more interesting with Selina or Ivy or anyone else a little more significant.

Basically get rid of the made up generic villains like stab guy and balloon man and use the actual characters from the comics like Penguin to focus on. I'm glad The Walking Dead killed the Penguin because Gotham needs him.

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 04:51:50 PM »
Here's what I keep wondering. Bruce Wayne is like 8-10 years old right now. Realistically, he's got about 20 years ahead of him before he puts on the black tights. Is Gotham supposed to be like Smallville, where the understood endgame was always the moment Clark Kent becomes Superman? Are they planning to play it like The Tudors, where each season jumps ahead 5+ years?

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »
Assuming it doesn't get cancelled, ratings are actually good, I doubt Batman will ever come about.