Author Topic: Gotham (FOX)  (Read 6446 times)

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
Re: Gotham (FOX)
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »
When even the Bruce Wayne scenes are interesting, it's been a good show.  :)

Never thought of Alfred as a curmudgeon, but he certainly was one here.  "It's not working out with this hooligan!  Selina gets annoyed when we pry, shirks the meal schedule, and disrespects her elders.  And she tracked mud on my freshly vacuumed carpet!"

Alfred is trying to be a father to Bruce, so he's acting like one. Noticed he lightened up when Bruce and Selina were clowning around. Probably because it's the first time Bruce has smiled.

I agree it's too soon for Two Face. Harvey Dent was a good man who was frustrated with The System, and that frustration is what became the evil side of Two-Face. But give we have an awesome Penguin, and other good characters, it's not a huge deal for me.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2014, 11:09:30 AM »
Alfred is trying to be a father to Bruce, so he's acting like one. Noticed he lightened up when Bruce and Selina were clowning around. Probably because it's the first time Bruce has smiled.

Yeah, but he didn't really give her a chance. His call to Gordon came across like she's stealing or bringing in drugs, when she's basically just acting like a normal kid.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
This Alfred is kind of a strange father figure, but in a good way. He encouraged Bruce to beat up Tommy Elliot while he watched, then agreed to teach him how to fight. I'm not sure but did he tell Bruce to use his father's watch as brass knuckles?

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2014, 03:08:16 PM »
but he turned around when she got bruce acting like a kid

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2014, 03:23:13 PM »
Solid episode, I don't even miss RAW.  I'd really like to see this show make it several seasons and see Bruce start to grow up and Penguin solidify himself as a criminal genius. 
The only thing I thought was stupid was Gordon's gf going back to carpet munch city.
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
Barb is the only thing dragging down the show right right now. Luckily they are going to debut a new love interest for Gordon the second half of next season.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »
Maybe she isn't Batgirl's mom.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »
I can't help but think Barbara is getting fridged

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 01:09:12 AM »
I was suggesting they bring in Sarah Essen, Gordon's love interest from Batman: Year One to replace Barb, then someone told me Sarah Essen was already on the show as the female police commissioner  :o

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 05:12:56 PM »
Finally catching up on all the episodes I've missed.  Gonna type out thoughts as they come.

Penguin's Umbrella:

Interesting usage of Victor Zsasz.  Gordon continues to be a badass and you can see he's starting to turn people to the law.  Penguin continues to sell this show.  I've enjoyed all the scenes of Wayne and Gordon together and this one of Gordon saying goodbye is no different.  I really like the idea of Gordon being a "mentor"/role model for him to look up to and model himself after.  Holy crap Penguin is awesome.  Fuck everything else they shoulda just named this show Penguin and had it a telling of his rise to power lol.  Starting to build a crew already buying them out from within the mob.  Did, did Bullock just cock a bolt action rifle like it's a shotgun?!  I could really care less about the Barbara storyline.  Alright now this is cool finding out Penguin has been playing both sides from the start.  He really has seemed to think of every angle.  Really good episode and shows that they are growing and getting better.

The Mask:

I'm guessing this episode introduces Roman Sionis like I have suggested they do for this show from the start.  Well that was an interesting opening.  Oh great, Riddler....at least they didn't make any Riddler references this time proving again they should have just created a generic CSI for the role.  Mooney is just asking to die.  She is refusing to cooperate with anyone it appears despite losing her lover/backup.  Uh, am I about to have to watch Bruce Wayne going to school.  Are we going to find out he goes to school with one of his future villains and their rivalry started there?  FUCK YES!  BLACK MASK!  Barbara is an idiot.  Oh hell no.  That is NOT the style of the his Mask they are going with is it :(  Hey, hey, HEY GUYS, GUYS, GUUUUUYYYS.....Riddler is in this show.  Did he calll that kid Tommy?  Future Hush I guess... Ok so we have her name now.  Liza.  *shrug*  Not sure I like this direction for Black Mask.  Well the kids got fire.  Discount James McAvoy.  I like this idea that all this happens because of the Wayne's death.  Not because Batman shows up.  Oh right...she's in this show...what was the friggin point of that scene.  Alright so that is a young Hush.  So they are keeping that story of them being young classmates.  I like that.  The Bruce stuff has been handled well in this episode.  Lot less him being Batman and a lot more of him trying to just grow up and HOLY SHIT DID ALFRED REALLY JUST BACK HIM AND SUPPORT HIM ON DOING THAT!  Good guy Bullock getting everyone finally on the some-what straight and narrow.  Good move and character growth showing the influence Gordon has on everyone.  Seriously that mask needs to lose the scarf and eyebrows.  Captain took to the field.  Pretty awesome.  Mooney isn't doing it for me anymore.  Not enough thought behind her plans or situation.  Not enough Penguin in this episode.  Really?  He's a cop.  You're going to get pissy because he can't talk whenever you want to talk to him do to his JOB.  Alright so time for Bruce to learn to fight and Alfred starts the instructions.  Overall an ok episode I felt.  Might actually be better than I think it is and I'm just underwhelmed with what they've done for Black Mask.

Harvey Dent:

Hmmm, wonder what this episode will be about.  WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU BRING THE THIEF INTO THIS SWANK ASS PLACE!?  At least Barbara is aware she's being stupid.  If she's going to stay with the Wayne's I'm going to riot...that's it I'm rioting.  Alright so they have Dent as just an assistance DA at the moment.  I was thinking they could have gone with him being just an intern still in law school to have him younger but this is a good way to go too.  Those two are going to bang.  Discount Brandon Routh.  I am not watching this show for awkward young love situations dammit.  Clever of the kid to include the name plate as a piece of shrapnel for GCPD to find to find him.  Sooo, Selena being a street urchin/orphan is the set up for Wayne taking in that street urchin Jason Todd huh.  Penguin has got some balls constantly going into Mooney's and taunting her.  Why wouldn't they bring back up when checking that place out when they know it is very likely where Ian is.  Yep they are so going to bang.  Gordon don't take shit from nobody.  Right, this episode has Dent in it and is apparently about him.  Oooook so Dent is already losing control of himself apparently.  Seriously I don't care about these two.  All of this is making it to obvious who Batman is when he becomes Batman.  Why wouldn't you put the phone on silent/vibrate?  Furthermore, why would you use The Final Countdown as the ringtone.  Bit obvious isn't it.  A food fight.  That's what these two have come too.  Penguin you clever son of a bitch.  Is that going to be Doctor Crane on his right?  Probably one of the weakest episode's since the first.  Very little to do with Dent and to much Bruce/Selina for me.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »
Nice stream of consciousness review

Who is Black Mask?

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »
Batman villain whose a gang leader that wears a black skull mask. I'm not sure that was Black Mask or a relative or a pre-Black Mask. His first name was different. Either way I don't think he was Black Mask in that time in Bruce and Gordon's life. He'll probably comeback as the character in the future.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »
It definitely has something to do with it.  Whether it is going to be the Black Mask we know or not remains to be seen.  I hope you're right because I didn't like that Sionis.  Didn't feel like Sionis even slightly.

Nice stream of consciousness review

Who is Black Mask?

LOL Thanks?  I didn't want to watch them all then come back and try and summarize thoughts as I was far behind.  Behind on all the shows right now.  Getting ready to catch up on Constantine, AoS, Flash, Arrow, and The Blacklist.  Haven't watched an episode of anything since about the week before or of Halloween.  Debating whether to do that again for them XD.  Looking back on the post it looks like a bit much

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2014, 11:53:06 AM »
The female Copperhead debuts tonight on the mid season finale.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
Damn, Alfred is a bad ass. Which makes sense since why would Wayne trust his kid with a wimp?
Best Alfred ever

BTW, secret passage? Foreshadowing the batcave?

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2014, 03:03:10 AM »
That was all really well done.

Bruce and Selina on the run in the streets was really fun and interesting. It'd be kind of cheating if Bruce and Selina remained childhood friends and neither can't figure out whose who when they're Batman and Catwoman in the future, but for purposes of this show where that won't ever be shown, I'm okay if they spend a ton of time with each other on and off through out their youth.

Alfred is a bad ass on this show and has lots of great moments. He's not the typical tv dad, which I love. He knows everything Bruce is up to, talking with Selina secretly, and let's Bruce know it's fine.

I was surprised how cool Copperhead was. That was a very nice translation of the character into live action. Nothing close to over the top as Mr. Zsaz, but just as deadly.

And making Gordon as guard at Arkham Asylum is actually a really good idea to mix things up on the show. We get to see Gordon doing something completely different, plus get an inside view into the notorious asylum.

Poison Ivy was a little on the nose, but I'm glad they stopped when they did before going too over the top with her.

Might be the only episode where Penguin didn't steal the show, but I'm all in for his long term plan and rise. It's funny because we already know his future, but this show has managed to make the journey totally unpredictable and interesting.

Looking forward to seeing the show comeback next year.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2015, 07:25:41 PM »
And the show is back tonight.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2015, 08:20:02 PM »
And Selena and Ivy are in a clock tower

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2015, 11:09:31 PM »
FUCK, was watching Raw...and Raw sucks
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2015, 03:21:45 AM »
Barbara Gordon evidently doesn't know when she's talking to an eight year-old.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »
For all the good to great things they did last year, I thought it was odd they'd hit the reset button with this episode. It felt like a pilot for an Arkham Asylum spin off show, complete with new characters. I wasn't really into it.

When Bullock came to Arkham for Gordon, it really made me miss the old show, not saying it's gone, but GCPD felt like it was just in the background. Even the Penguin was a side story. He's still great and the true hero of the show.

Things I did like was Dr. Leslie Tompkins. I thought she'd be a normal doctor or straight character like Gordon, but she's fun. I liked every scene with she and Gordon. Also loved Ivy trolling Barbara on the phone. I doubt the show realizes how much we hate Barbara and rooting for her to get away from Gordon.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2015, 03:29:26 PM »
Montoya sure couldn't get away from her fast enough.

Day one, and she decides it was a mistake.

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »
Barbara Gordon evidently doesn't know when she's talking to an eight year-old.

haha I was thinking the same thing

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2015, 05:32:18 PM »
Here's my question, but maybe I'm forgetting something. When Gordon comes home towards the end, he starts calling Barbara's name. Why does he expect Barbara to be there? I thought she made it clear she was leaving at the end of the last episode or something. Did they have another conversation or something?

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »
She can change her mind. Based on the mess, someone was living there and his first thought was her.