Author Topic: Gotham (FOX)  (Read 7533 times)

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
Re: Gotham (FOX)
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »
Agreed.  The point of the show is Gotham before Batman.  If they do decide to time skip, it will at the end of the series.

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 08:41:01 PM »
Assuming it doesn't get cancelled, ratings are actually good, I doubt Batman will ever come about.

Then I really don't see the point in our getting so much of Bruce Wayne at this point.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »
Sure it does.  Bruce is part of Gotham, too.  There's a big period of time where Bruce was stuck at home, before he was old enough to head off on his own and carve out his own path.  Makes sense to at least include a little bit of that story of Bruce before Batman, along with Gotham.

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »
Sure it does.  Bruce is part of Gotham, too.  There's a big period of time where Bruce was stuck at home, before he was old enough to head off on his own and carve out his own path.  Makes sense to at least include a little bit of that story of Bruce before Batman, along with Gotham.

It feels like we're getting a lot more than a little bit of that story. And this is right at the start of what will end up being the least interesting ten years in Bruce Wayne's life.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 02:24:51 AM »
Well this was different. I thought this was an overall good episode...by the end.

Last week's cringe worthy moments with Fish Mooney and the two girls auditioning and fighting had a big pay off at the end of this episode. It doesn't make up for it, but I suppose it was worth it. Falcone has a weakness and blind spot and this girl is going to exploit it for Fish Mooney.

Of course the stuff with Penguin was good. Maroni is also a fun mobster villain and he knows Gordon's secret about the Penguin. I want to see these three work reluctantly together. Maroni is also picking away at Falcone in a separate war from Fish Mooney.

Now the stuff I didn't care for. The whole story of the drug that gives you super strength before it kills you. Pretty weird leap for this show, just because how campy the special effects were. The drug is Viper and this is obviously an early version or reference to Venom in the future with Bane. It came off cheap, but it connected to the dirty Wayne Enterprises.

Bruce being a boy genius detective also not into. Bale did all this in Begins and it was awesome, but this kid doing it just comes off silly.

It's an odd show that I am becoming indifferent towards because it has no consistency, but I found myself liking it tonight by the time it ended.

Also heard they cast Betty Kane, the original Bat Girl from the Golden Age on this show. I think it's a great idea to reach that far into the mythos, but no idea how this show will execute it. An actual vigilante would be nice.

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »
I thought this week's episode was good, but I don't know if I am digging the Bruce Wayne 10-year old sleuth storyline. 
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 04:25:47 PM »
On the other hand, Bullock's becoming the best part of the show.

"IT'S COFFEE, JIM!"

"What's altruism??!"

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »
Actually love every exchange between Bullock and Gordon, including the looks they give each other. They've become good buddy cops. I imagine Bullock will have Gordon's back once Penguin is found alive.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »
This show makes me wish I still drove my old cop car Diplomat

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
Morena Baccarin (Firefly, Homeland) cast as Dr. Leslie Tompkins.

This is actually relevant casting to the time in Bruce's life rather than bringing in Harvey Dent so soon.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 06:57:01 PM »
Thought the villain at first was the Mad Hatter.  Glad it wasn't.  The precursor to Venom is cool but holy hell did that take a weird twist for this show even though it's a comic book show.

The Penguin stuff as always is great.  Riddler was used in a good manner for once as there were NO FUCKING RIDDLES.  Kinda proved they could have and should have used a generic original creation for that role.  Catwoman felt forced down my throat again as usual.

Boy Detective is stupid.  Just stupid.

Falcone/Maroni is being played out well.  I'm hoping to eventually see a young Sionis show up in one of their crews at one point.  I am afraid that this girl of Fish's is going to end up being Harley as I got really strong weak willed overly depandant vibes from her through most of her scenes with Fish.  Couple in the fact it looks like Fish might have already employed the future Joker (back in episode 1).

Parts of this show fire on all cylinders, mainly the Bullock/Gordon and Penguin portions dealing with classic mob.  Then it's like it remembers it's FOX and they have to be terrible so let's force some unnecessary cameo's down your throat some more.

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 02:22:26 AM »
Not sure why I'm noticing this, but I feel like the girl they cast to play Fish's secret weapon isn't that good of an actress.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »
The Barbara side story is making her look less like the supportive wife, and more like a manipulative busy body.  What's she really expect?  If he tells her everything, she'd probably get freaked out, and blame him for caving in to her.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »
She seems like she has some kind of background story too

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 11:23:48 PM »
I'm guessing Barbara will die at some point, because of course the "Barbara Gordon" we know is his daughter. I suppose it's possibe he still names his daughter Barbara though.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 03:15:00 AM »
That episode was surprisingly awesome due to the pay off.

I thought "The Goat" storyline was really lame and generic at the start, but it went in a really good direction with the hypnotherapist twist.

So we learn from this episode Bullock is a genuinely good guy or cop deep down inside, but he's had to play the dirty game to survive in Gotham, possibly.

I enjoyed the Riddler in this. He was less cartoonish and more human, a likable human at that. I'd love to see him share screen time with the Penguin one day.

It was nice having very little Bruce this episode, although I'm interested in seeing where he and Selina go.

The Gordon/Penguin pay off was fantastic. I've been waiting for this time bomb because it gets Gordon in trouble with both the GCPD and Falcone. But our little Penguin is going to protect him and he has Maroni on his side, not to mention Fish Mooney's whatever plan separately in play.

Hopefully this was the game changer this show needs. They haven't exactly done the typical freak of the week formula, but it's been random cases every week with Penguin cameos saving the show. Now if it all comes together, there will be a narrative to actually follow.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 03:47:01 AM »
I'm guessing Barbara will die at some point, because of course the "Barbara Gordon" we know is his daughter. I suppose it's possibe he still names his daughter Barbara though.

They've retconned who Barbara's mother is a few times. But her mother was Barbara Gordon in Frank Miller's Batman: Year One. Nolan's Batman Begins was partly inspired by that and Gordon's wife again was Barbara Gordon.

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 02:22:19 PM »
Loved the ending, perfect cliffhanger.  I thought the hypnotherapist was a little quick to admit to her little scheme, at least give a token denial lady!
This is the perfect show to give me at least an hour of Raw to skip
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »
Scarecrow coming to Gotham now.

You know there's enough interesting material from Bruce's actual childhood they could pull from like Tommy Elliot, Court of Owls, and Gray Ghost instead of bringing in his super villains from the future.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »
Did I imagine that or was that a GREAT episode of Gotham? Wow, the show has found it's footing finally and everything they've randomly sprinkled through out the season finally came together.

Penguin was great as usual and I was rooting for him all the way to him stabbing Maroni's henchmen. He's one of those great villains I want to see succeed. Looks like he was a double agent this whole time. Not sure what he sees in Gordon now though, considering he knew Gordon would let him live before it actually happened.

Also find myself rooting for both Falcone and Maroni at the same time. Both mob bosses are likable and not generic like most of the characters on the show. I think Fish Mooney is the only person I legitimately dislike because she is a bad guy.

Really liked everything Gordon in this episode for the first time. Glad he, Montoya, and what's his face are working together now. The wedge they were trying to drive between Gordon and Barbra over Montoya was poorly written and glad they dropped it.

Also happy to see Bullock finally turn face. Based on last week and this week, he was only dirty because it's the easiest way to survive in Gotham. If you try to be a hero cop, any loved ones you have become a target. That's why all the cops looked the other way when Zsasz showed up.

Zsasz was interesting. His only gimmick in the comics are his self inflicted scars based on his body count. No super powers, so give him an eccentric personality and weird quirks like silly ringtones.  It worked for this show.

I like the way Falcone does business. And I liked what he implied. Without him, Gotham would be  lot worse. He keeps all the freaks and criminals in line. Without him, they'd be doing whatever they wanted, instead of checking in with him. Plus Gordon's dad and the Wayans possibly worked with him.

Looking forward to next week.

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »
How long before someone says, Penguins eat fish. ?

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 12:34:48 AM »
Did I imagine that or was that a GREAT episode of Gotham? Wow, the show has found it's footing finally and everything they've randomly sprinkled through out the season finally came together.

Penguin was great as usual and I was rooting for him all the way to him stabbing Maroni's henchmen. He's one of those great villains I want to see succeed. Looks like he was a double agent this whole time. Not sure what he sees in Gordon now though, considering he knew Gordon would let him live before it actually happened.

In a city of killers and crooks, he's dependable.  The one guy he knows would sooner stop murder then commit one.  Handy guy for someone like Penguin to keep around.

And he further ingratiate's himself to Falcone if he's correct about Gordon eventually seeing things his way.  He's been right so far, after all.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
Not the epic game changer like last week, but another solid episode with some big name drops.

The Bruce stuff was actually great. Finally they reach into some actual young Bruce Wayne material from the comics with Tommy Elliot. They didn't make them friends, but his school bully works. I guess they could still make them friends later down the line like Peter Parker and Harry Osbourne, but this as a good and timely reference.

Also more bad ass moments from Alfred wanting Bruce to fight and wanting to teach him how *cue epic music* These are the Bruce moments I can get behind.

Also I'm pretty sure that was meant to be a pre-Black Mask as the main villain. He was done well and Gordon came off great again.

Penguin stealing the show as usual. Hope he finds out about Fish Mooney's master plan.

Actually looking forward to this show every week now, instead of just watching out of habit.

SCB

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 01:43:51 AM »
Didn't think I'd ever be saying this, but that episode of Gotham went by too fast. Everything from Harvey Dent to the Selina/Bruce stuff, to Penguin figuring out Fish Mooney's master plan flowed extremely well and I wanted more.

I liked Harvey Dent. They didn't do anything too over the top with him like calling him Two Face right off the bat (no pun intended), but I liked they showed his dark temper and other than that he was just given to us without much back story the fans of this show do not need. His tactics of baiting criminals might go too far, but it'll be a nice contrast to his ally straight and narrow Jim Gordon.

Penguin continues to steal the show every single episode and I love that he's consistently smart, creepy, and fun. Whatever game he's playing, I'm fully on board to watch him play and succeed. Best interpretation of the Penguin.

And lastly the Selina/Bruce stuff was fun. They're really on the nose with Selina's attitude, walking away in slow motion after telling Bruce he'd get killed on the street, but I like where it's all going. Alfred might be the one to start to teach Bruce how to fight, but Selina will introduce him to how to react to the danger on the streets she's always faced as a child.

Mid-season finale next week and the show has me exactly where it wants me, on the edge.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 10:34:52 AM »
When even the Bruce Wayne scenes are interesting, it's been a good show.  :)

Never thought of Alfred as a curmudgeon, but he certainly was one here.  "It's not working out with this hooligan!  Selina gets annoyed when we pry, shirks the meal schedule, and disrespects her elders.  And she tracked mud on my freshly vacuumed carpet!"