Author Topic: Random Wrestling Discussion and Link Dump  (Read 4126 times)

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
    • South Atlanta Wrestling
Random Wrestling Discussion and Link Dump
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »
I hope no one minds this, but I figured I'd make a thread for any SAW posts that don't fit into other discussions.  Feel free to add your own off-the-wall wrestling stuff here too if you'd like.  Think of this as a place for any random wrestling stuff that might not deserve its own thread or fit neatly into the other discussions.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:22:33 AM by FreebirdSTF »

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
Re: South Atlanta Wrestling Link Dump
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
Here's our first one.  A really random deal about Boris Zhukov transitioning back to Pvt. Jim Nelson in....2007.

http://www.southatlantawrestling.com/2015/01/boris-zhukovprivate-jim-nelson.html

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
Re: Random Wrestling Discussion and Link Dump
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:23:23 PM »

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 01:04:11 PM »
The Hardliners were around about the time I started watching WCW. I thought they were dull, but I'm sure if I watched them now I'd be in awe.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »
That whole hired hand gimmick is awesome anyway.  The APA was the last gimmick I really recall like that although I guess The Shield sort of qualifies.  I dig that kind of deal.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »
This inspires me to write more blogs for A1. Actual blogs. Not just podcast posts and match links...

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:15:11 AM »
This Miz Interview Touches on the Problem with Kayfabe in 2015    A constant refrain I hear on message boards, Twitter, etc. is that the death of kayfabe has hurt the wrestling business and/or current WWE TV programming.  Well The Miz recently appeared on Ring Rust Radio and this interview kind of spoke to why I disagree with this notion.

The future of Miz and Mizdow: It's funny that every sees to see this tension brewing between Mizdow and myself. The fact is that Damian is a stunt double. What was he doing before he met me? Nothing. He was crazy, he was barely on TV, and he never had a championship. Since he has been with me I have brought him to the promise land. I have made him relevant. I have made people cheer for him and love him. The reason why they are cheering for him is because he is an extension of me. If you watch him he is doing everything I do. So in a sense, everyone is cheering for me. So teasing this and that and the other thing, as long as Damian keeps doing what he is doing then that is completely fine with me. As long as he knows his place and where he stands. If he starts thinking that he is better than his place then we will start having problems.

As this answer shows attempting to kayfabe in 2015 is a fool's errand.  The horse has left the barn.  The vast majority of folks know what the deal is and you cannot go back and unring that bell.  This answer is even goofier when you read the rest of the interview on DOT NET.  The interview even touches on Tough Enough and its return which is a blatant example of WWE themselves breaking away from kayfabe.

To me, the issue is not the death of kayfabe because it just is not possible that you can go back to that in 2015.  Breaking the fourth wall during a show is an issue I will grant you, but trying to 'fabe it up in 2015 ain't going to cut it.  What you need is to make sure that you are booking compelling angles and have talent that have a presence and come across as legitimate.  Take SAW favorite, Mark Henry, for example as someone who comes across as real in a predetermined sport.  You don't look at that dude in his Hall of Pain persona as someone who is playing wrestling.  Brock Lesnar is another that is often mentioned as someone who makes it look real.  Ultimately, if I can emotionally invest in Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead, why can't I emotionally invest in a wrestling show that I know isn't real? 

Point is kayfabe is dead and gone and isn't coming back.  That is not what is wrong withWWE and other promotions though.  The death of kayfabe is an excuse that those in the industry and fans use to blame a poor product on and not a legitimate issue with today's product.  It's a crutch and we need to realize that kayfabe cannot and will not return and that a compelling product can still exist in a post-kayfabe world.

http://www.southatlantawrestling.com/2015/02/this-miz-interview-touches-on-problem.html

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 03:50:45 PM »
Did you watch the Stone Cold Podcast that HHH was on?  They literally brought this topic up and said the same thing you just did lol

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »
Yes I did.  That wasn't the inspiration though although I did touch on it when I recapped that too.  My inspiration is all the folks I see talk about how the death of kayfabe is killing the business and the insinuation that if they'd just go back to that the business would catch fire again.  You can create compelling wrestling even though we are all in on the gag now.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 11:55:29 PM »
Yes I did.  That wasn't the inspiration though although I did touch on it when I recapped that too.  My inspiration is all the folks I see talk about how the death of kayfabe is killing the business and the insinuation that if they'd just go back to that the business would catch fire again.  You can create compelling wrestling even though we are all in on the gag now.

Anyone saying you can go back to Kayfabe is fooling themselves.  We're aware it's fake now.  If they were to go back to Kayfabe we wouldn't by it or believe it.  Not to mention with all the technology it'd be impossible to keep it secret.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 07:27:32 AM »
Exactly, in this day and age I think even if they hadn't let us in on it there's no way people wouldn't be smartened up anyway. 

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 04:59:03 PM »
After last night's NXT Takeover Rival I'm also reminded of something else HHH brought up in the podcast and that's how he runs NXT.  He admits to really only teaching them about the production side with camera placement and where to look etc.  When it comes to characters and promo's he lets the performers themselves pretty much control that.  As he was talking about that portion it seemed to me he was making a jab at Vince himself for how overscripted everything is for the people on the main roster.  Almost like HHH was saying he is fully aware NXT is the better product and outright telling us why and that he gets our frustrations with the main shows.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 09:37:24 PM »
http://www.southatlantawrestling.com/2015/02/folks-to-follow-twitter-recommendations.html

This was a post about some solid folks I recommend following on Twitter including A1's own SupTool.

Folks to Follow: Twitter Recommendations Volume 1    I have decided to kick #FollowFriday on Twitter up a notch.  Instead of just a simple Tweet with a list of names I am going to post them here with an explanation for why you might be interested in them.  The intention is just to highlight a few people at a time, not a comprehensive list.

Norko (@TheBottomLine)--This one should be obvious.  Friends since 1986 (3rd Grade!), my partner here on SAW, and general all around good dude.  Oh, and he's also an Alabama Crimson Tide fan like myself so ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Dan Aleksander (@HaveTilFive)--Originally caught my eye because of the awesome Twitter handle which if you didn't know is a Bryan Danielson reference.  You may know Bryan Danielson better as WWE's Daniel Bryan.  Anyhow, always an excellent follow for a variety of reasons.  The main reason he's included here though is I've had a lot of good wrestling discussion with him in spite of him being a Philly guy (Hey, no one's perfect).

Update: Here's what he had to say about his name, "Part Bryan reference, part wrestling rules in general reference."  He does some cool urban photography as well.

WCW WorldWide (@WCWWorldwide)--If you are like me and grew up knowing how special 6:05 on Saturday night was then this is the site for you.  You can get your fill of WCW nostalgia here.  A lot of his original content is currently floating around on other WCW-centric Facebook pages, etc. without attribution.  Like I said, if you like WCW then this is a must-follow Twitter account.

That's all I have for this week, but this will be a fairly regular staple here on South Atlanta Wrestling.  You can check the top of the page for all of our contact information as well.   

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »
http://www.southatlantawrestling.com/2015/02/throwbackthursday-ron-simmons-in-ecw.html

SupTool posted a #TBT link from Ron Simmons' time in ECW.

And now for something a little different.  For those that didn't know, before Ron Simmons made his debut in the WWF as Faarooq Asad he had a hiccup in ECW.  As evidenced in this promo, you could see it as a precursor to his Nation of Domination character.

Here's the video he shared.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 10:16:51 PM »
So channel surfing between the 1st and 2nd period in the Blackhawks game revealed that with the change from Xfinity to DirectTV the other day we get Desination America HD.  Brodus Clay is now somebody named Tyrus on Impact and Josh Matthews is a caster XD

Also, on Axs it was playing NJPW.  It was listed as an episode from 2015 which I find cute considering the main event was the leader of Bullet Club, PRINCE DEVITT, challenging Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight championship XD

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 10:45:25 PM »
I chose to play Madden 13 instead, but I should have watched that NJPW show.  I really enjoyed it last week.  Although my DVR was recording something so maybe it was that...

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »
I didn't really watch it.  Just enough to see that it was actually an old episode despite the 2015 tag

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 11:02:11 PM »
They are featuring old matches, but they clearly point out when the matches took place.  I think it's interesting still because guys like me didn't see the matches originally so I don't really care that it's old.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 11:38:48 PM »
Yeah it's clear that the matches are from 2013, but the announcers still call the PBP. I think it's the best announcing on American TV.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »
Michael PS Hayes talked a little bit about writing Badstreet USA and he's learning to play the piano currently.

http://www.southatlantawrestling.com/2015/02/michael-ps-hayes-on-badstreet-usa.html

Caught this post the other day on Michael PS Hayes' Facebook page and thought it was interesting.  For those who don't know, Jo Jo was Michael's dog who passed away recently and the namesake for his band Michael PS Hayes and the Jo Jo Hayes BandHere's the Tweet he references below as well.

Hey everyone.
 Would like to expand what I said on Twitter about sharing credit for Badstreet USA.
 While Jimmy Pappa and myself shared most of the credit, Larry Valez was very instrumental in that song as well as a number of other songs on the Off The Streets album.
 Larry was something back then, sweetheart of a guy, except when he had tequila! LOL
 With Valentines Day coming up, I'm sure to be missing Jo Jo more than usual.
 Self admittedly, a little jealous she will celebrate it in a much better place, but, I'll hold down the Fort for the time being.
 I've run into a few of the people who played on Freebird Road, Matt who played bass, and Melanie, who played bass on the Free as a Bird CD.
 Always great to see them as doing my day job doesn't allow me much time for music.
 Speaking of which, I started taking piano lessons last Saturday, kind of pumped about that.
 Well, gotta run, take care, be cool.

Thx, PS
It's also kind of cool that Hayes is now learning to play the piano.  It is also good to see him make sure that individuals who deserve credit get their credit.  That is too often an unusual situation in this day and age.

Even though you can see that "Badstreet USA" is definitely a 1980's deal I still think it is absolutely one of the best wrestling theme songs ever.

Just in case you have forgotten about the greatness of "Badstreet USA" here it is for your listening pleasure.  Check it out

FATSEXY

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 01:20:18 PM »
The PWI Year End issue was still on the shelf at the local Kroger, so I picked it up. It is a fun read. I still like the PWI wrestler pictures.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 01:23:06 PM »
I almost picked up the Mania preview thing WWE put out, but it was like $10.  I may have to buy a PWI for old-time's sake.  That's where I learned about Stan Hansen, Larry Zbyszko and Nick Bockwinkel although I rarely if ever saw those guys as a kid.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »
The PWI Year End issue was still on the shelf at the local Kroger, so I picked it up. It is a fun read. I still like the PWI wrestler pictures.

I just sold an old PWI almanac on eBay for $20. Looks like those will appreciate in value.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 12:03:13 AM »
Interesting to look back at Husky Harris considering where he is now as Bray Wyatt.

http://www.southatlantawrestling.com/2015/03/meet-nxt-rookie-husky-harris.html